Are These Ramshorns Or Something Else?

Sirianna

Reaction score
hi guys! I work at a petsmart and we’ve been getting these in the bags with our fish when they come in. They’re very pretty and we’ve been reluctant to kill them as we aren’t sure if they’re invasive or not. Can anyone identify these? Thanks

upload_2018-5-3_12-37-24.jpeg

Please ignore the one in the top right corner! I’m asking about the spotty ones

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree, they're leopard ramshorns. You could probably sell them instead of killing them, especially online if that's an option. They don't reproduce as fast as pond snails, so some people buy them for their tanks, some buy them as food.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They're considered pests still though, so I wouldn't introduce them to any tanks with plants that you sell.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes, mainly if you have a tank dedicated to snails, my local PetSmart does. My local Petco has several tanks dedicated to plants (and the occasional discus or large angelfish) but it has been entirely overrun with pond snails. I do know some people come in and take some of the pond snails off their hands, so maybe someone would for the ramshorns. Also, in my experience, my ramshorns seem to only lay eggs on the glass of the aquarium, so if it's not that decorated the eggs are easy to remove

Sirianna

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I have a bunch of baby mysteries that I’m considering selling online so I might see if I can take these guys home next time I go in if they’re still there

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom