Are These Ramshorn Snails?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Baburelli, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Baburelli

Baburelli New Member Member

I have had an infestation of tiny snails for the past few months. I must have removed at least 100 of them but I keep finding more. Can they reproduce when they are this small and are they Ramshorns? I see more and more tiny babies appearing which are very hard to take out with my tweezers. A lot of them are up against the glass and are almost flat. I tried putting a piece of lettuce in the tank to catch them but they're not interested. Any other suggestions?
    They are in a planted 6G Fluval Edge which has only a small opening to get things in and out off which makes it a lot harder to manipulate the tweezers.

fullsizeoutput_179d.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1798.jpeg

2. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Yes, they are ramshorns. They can reproduce pretty quickly. As for how to get rid of them, I'm not sure other than to make sure there is no extra food whatsoever staying at the bottom (if you have fish or shrimp in there) and manually remove them.

3. OP
    OP
    Baburelli

Thanks, I have just a few Mollies in there right now and I will cut back on their food. Would an Assassin snail eat them yet or do they need to be bigger for them to be dinner?

4. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

There are many species of Ramshorn Snail including 20 in Europe.

I'm not sure whether by adding Assasin Snails you will just end up replacing one snail with another.

What I am sure about is if you are able to syphon water out during water changes, by choosing the correct diameter syphon you will be able to suck out the snails that are present on your surfaces such as the glass, rocks, ornaments, filters etc.

Avoid sucking up the gravel etc. (obviously).

If you do this at each water change you will eventually reduce your pest snails to a low level which might be acceptable to you.

I have found that a syphon of 10mm internal diameter has worked well for me.

The presence of excessive numbers of snails is not necessarily due to you overfeeding your fish and can occur in a low stocked tank.

5. OP
    OP
    Baburelli

Great advise, thank you! Would using airline tubing do the job, you think?
    I added a few more Mollies from another tank for a total of 6.

6. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

If it has a 10mm internal diameter it will be ideal (use a ruler).

Normal airline is usually far too small I think (again, use a ruler).

7. OP
    OP
    Baburelli

Thank you and yes it is too small. I took off the tubing from my smallest vacuum and it is perfect!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice