Are These Queen Loaches

Tulwinn

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post, I hope you don't mind me diving right in (pun not intended)

Starting out first larger tank, we were recommended Queen loaches. We liked the look of them and we enjoy the fact they have a lot ff personality. Only problem we have had is that one is larger, and and is constantly chasing (and we think nipping) the others around. This loach has earned a not very pleasant nickname.

After looking at then for a while we noticed the patterns on their backs are different, and started to wonder if they are the same species of loach. maybe that would explain the behaviour?

IMG_0253.jpg

This one on, above the coconut, is the larger aggressive one.

IMG_0254.jpg

Most of the others are slightly smaller, some have the same patterning as him, but others have bands of dots like these.

If its not very clear I can try and get more pictures, its hard to get the to stay still long enough.

Thanks for any help or advice.

To add, the smaller fish also seem to have lines down their faces, like a badger. A dark line down the middle and white lines either side. The larger loach just has a dark head with no lines.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think the one in the first pic is a different species than the ones in the second pic. The bigger one looks like a queen loach, but I can't remember the names of the smaller ones. How many of each do you have?

Tulwinn

Reaction score
I think the one in the first pic is a different species than the ones in the second pic. The bigger one looks like a queen loach, but I can't remember the names of the smaller ones. How many of each do you have?
Hi, we thought the larger one was a Queen Loach. There are 6 in all, 1 Queen loach, if that is the case, and 5 others.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What size tank is this and what's the current stocking? You might just be able to add more queens and reduce the aggression, but depending on the tank size and stocking, this might not be the best option.

Tulwinn

Reaction score
Its a 125l tank, a Fluval Roma.

Ideally, what you suggest is what we would like to do but we thought the tank may be too small for that.

Right now, we have only just started stocking the tank, it currently has the 6 loaches and 6 Diamond tetras.

Two more pictures, one showing head on view
IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't know much about loaches but could they be the same type but with color/pattern morph, does there mouth and barbells look the same?

Tulwinn

Reaction score
I don't know much about loaches but could they be the same type but with color/pattern morph, does there mouth and barbells look the same?
No, the smaller ones have pointy heads and the larger one has a more rounded head.

After doing some web surfing, we think the smaller ones may be Ladder Loaches

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, the tank isn't big enough for both species. And really, I don't think its big enough for the smaller loaches by themselves either. The tank is only 31" long, which is a little small for the more active loaches over 3".

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Look into 'Ladder loach'[Botia rostrata] likely IMO
Or 'Hora loach' [Botia dayi ] less likely.
The first does look like queen.

Tulwinn

Reaction score
It looks like they are Polka Dots and I don't think the tank is big enough for them.

Its OK now but they will grow too big, it looks like eventually they would be bigger than the Queen would be.

At the moment I'm thinking of returning the Polkas and getting some more queens instead.

Looks like you are right, the aquarium is saying they are Ladders.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In your tank I think suitable loaches would be Sidthimunkii and these are very characterful fish.

People familiar with Clown Loaches often expect smaller loaches to be similar but most of them are more aggressive. Clown Loaches are gentle giants.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A group of queen loaches is too much for your tank. Your tank isn't very big, and most of the loaches we're talking about here need a longer tank, ideally 48" long or longer.

Tulwinn

Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice, we have returned the loaches, and are now planning our next move.

Does anyone see any problems with Dwarf Chain Loaches and Pepper Corys with a bristlenose Pleco?

Thanks

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my experience Bristlenoses can act territorially with other bottom feeders, especially males.

I also believe Dwarf Chain Loaches would outcompete Peppered Corydoras Catfish and perhaps even nip them. This is partly because they occupy the same niche and are competitors. They may also require different temperatures to be comfortable.

I think the Fluval Roma would be good for a decent sized shoal of the Loaches as it has a good sized footprint but I'd be inclined to leave out the other two species. Clean any unwanted algae yourself.

There would be many options of fish to occupy the upper reaches of the water column without overstocking the tank.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What else is in the tank? I'd just go with a species of cories (depending on what else is in the tank, peppered cories may not be the best idea due to their low temp requirements) and a BN pleco - the chain loaches are likely to outcompete/harass the cories as Redshark mentioned.

Tulwinn

Reaction score
What else is in the tank? I'd just go with a species of cories (depending on what else is in the tank, peppered cories may not be the best idea due to their low temp requirements) and a BN pleco - the chain loaches are likely to outcompete/harass the cories as Redshark mentioned.
Some Diamond Tetras, Black Neons and Glowlight Tetras. I think you are right about the Cories.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom