Are these platies?

Discussion in 'Platy' started by Linni93, Apr 8, 2010.

1. L

Linni93 Valued Member Member

Just wondering if these fish are actually platies, like they were labeled as at the LFS... Not sure if I think they look like platies, but they may be some special species or something :;dk
    I had one other fish that I know actually was a platy, but he was different than the others :;fr

And the two females on the first picture look pregnant to me, but are they?
    :;fg

Attached Files:

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    Yep look like Platys to me and those females look very close to delivery time.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    L

ok, cool ;D

I actually asked for only females at the LFS because I didn't want my tank to possibly be overfilled with platy babies :p
    but the other platy I had (that died) was a male and one of the guys on the pictures is a male so I got 2 males and 2 females, instead of 4 females :;santaclaus
    so i guess there will be babies :) but that's ok though ;)

And yes, I do realize that the females may be pregnant already when people buy them...

4. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Those look like marigold variatus platies to me. I had one for a while, but she recently passed away, though. Their bodies tend to be a little slimmer and sleeker than regular platies, from what I see comparing them to my other platies (I have a dawn/parrot, two sunset coral dwarfs and a blue rainbow wag, as well as at least a dozen babies), more like a molly, so I can get where you'd think they weren't platies.

5. OP
    OP
    L

ok, thanks :)
    good to know they weren't tricking me at the LFS...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice