Are these plants good?

CoryVang

So im trying to start a planted tank and i wanna do a carpet. But i only have a sand substrate so will this plant work? Dwarf Hairgrass. Also im getting it fertilizer from easy green all in one fertilizer. Also if this plant wont work can u guys give me plants that will work. Also if sand dosbt work would i need a plastic mesh on the sand?

awilkinson871

I have no idea about carpeting plants, but I can tell you that any plants planted in the substrate should have root tabs as fertilizer. Most carpeting plants are also pretty slow growing so it takes many to start a carpet or a long time.

Upvote 0

CoryVang

I have no idea about carpeting plants, but I can tell you that any plants planted in the substrate should have root tabs as fertilizer. Most carpeting plants are also pretty slow growing so it takes many to start a carpet or a long time.
O ok thank u ill also try to get root tabs as well but if i cant then ill just not do carpet then.

Upvote 0

Danny002

I've heard dwarf hairgrass can be quite hard to accomplish a carpet with. It grows quite slow and many I've heard from say it needs CO2 (which is why I've never kept it myself). I would look into something like pearl moss and/or see if you can invest in a good nutrient-rich substrate to put your sand on top of, which could help encourage growth.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

If you're running a low tech tank, hairgrass may be tough (but not impossible). First, I wouldn't just use sand (you'll need every edge you can get). Use soil, it will help a lot. As said above, you can always cap it with sand.

Hairgrass will want decent light too, so make sure you have a light either designed for planted tanks or successfully used by others.

While I've grown hairgrass in hard water many times, I find it does better in soft/acidic water. So, if you have soft/acidic water, that will help out too.

Upvote 0

CoryVang

If you're running a low tech tank, hairgrass may be tough (but not impossible). First, I wouldn't just use sand (you'll need every edge you can get). Use soil, it will help a lot. As said above, you can always cap it with sand.

Hairgrass will want decent light too, so make sure you have a light either designed for planted tanks or successfully used by others.

While I've grown hairgrass in hard water many times, I find it does better in soft/acidic water. So, if you have soft/acidic water, that will help out too.
I will be using a hyyger full spectrum idk if thats good. Also what soil is good? I dont have a lfs near me so is there something from petco or petamart?

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

I will be using a hyyger full spectrum idk if thats good. Also what soil is good? I dont have a lfs near me so is there something from petco or petamart?
As far as your light is concerned, I don't know. Maybe someone else has grown plants with it and can chime in.

For soil, if you think you're the kind that will keep uprooting and moving your plants around, you should probably use something like aquasoil, contosoil, or stratum. These are very expensive though. If you can leave your plants where you plant them, use a potting soil with a good amount of organics in it and then cap it with sand or small gravel. But, be wary of potting soils with fertilizers added to them. Some of these can have too much fertilizer, which can do bad things to your tank. The up side to potting soil is that it is very cheap.

You asked about some other carpeting plant options. One of the best is Monte Carlo. I have it in a high tech tank, but I've seen it grown by others in low tech tanks. I've found Marcilea crenata and Cryptocoryne parva to be relatively easy to grow. But, these two plants take forever to form a carpet.

Upvote 0

FishareFriends6

I would recommend that, if you are certain you want to go down the planted tank route, you get an easy carpet plant and not one of the common advanced ones.

Glossostigma is pretty hardy and look quite cool! You also have hydrocotyle, which has around 5 different forms (Irish Clover shape is my fav).

The grass needs a good bed of soil, Ada, Amazonia, stratum, ect… plus a good strong light. Full micro/macro and injected co2.

The above statement can be bent but only by the pros or use to doing carpet-ers.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CoryVang
  • Question
Replies
Views
Linda1234
  • Question
Replies