Are These Plants Good?

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I found this pack on liveaquaria for a 26 gallon, it contains 1 anubias nana on driftwood, 3 moss balls, 5 Java fern, 2 ludwigia peruensis, 3 chain sword narrow leaf, and 3 crytocoryne undulata. My tank will have a GBR, X-ray Tetra, Albino Cory Cats, and Amano shrimp. I was wondering if this plant pack is appropriate for this stock and is it okay for beginners? I plan to have dragon stone additionally if that makes a difference. If you have any plants you think would be better for this tank let me know and include a number if possible.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO, its a good starting point. Beware that the chain sword may not do well in your tank - they appreciate bright light - and thr ludwigia is known to be finicky at times. I've had - too much - success with ludwigia in one if my tanks, but refuses to grow in the other...

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Plant selection overall is fine, but as to appropriateness that would depend on the lighting you are using. The ludwigia would need a bit more care then others...

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What kind of lighting would be recommended for these plants? I don't have anything fancy just the stock LED lights that came with my tank but I think they may be strong enough for lower light plants. How would you be able to tell the strenght of the lighting?

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'd get a good CFL setup going if you want to stay cheap. Otherwise, a plant designed led.

Be very wary of this route. Next thing you know, you'll be scratching your neck asking about co2 setups.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you have a CFL you could recommend for a 29 gallon tank? I would like real plants for my fish but if it becomes too much trouble is there any artificial plants that replicate these?

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've found a glass lid to replace the plastic one I have that has led lights on it, so now I can get a CFL that just sits on the glass lid.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Take it a slow and steady, scrutinize, explore your options, and also take it one step at a time, especially when adhering to the type of plants, as that will usually outline your next course of action. LED WILL give you the most bang for the buck, however they can sometimes be on the pricey side--in the end, it will turn out to be a very satisfying investment. But if you opt to go the CFL route, even Home Depot and other places like that and Sam's Club/Costco have some pretty good CFL rigs/set-ups, ballasts etc. Wal-Mart actually has some good CFL bulbs as well. One member here suggested to use the base fundmental "triangle" to determine applications for live plants: FIRST, Light. SECONDLY, ferts, and LASTLY, substrate. Live aquaria has some decent packages. In addition, maybe for future reference, check out plantedaquariumscentral.com as well, as they have a massive selection of plants for all tanks and skill levels. And also, H2O plants is pretty good too, although their shipping kinda sucks, and can take a long time, believe me! I waited almost 6 days once and 2 of the 4 plants were unsaveable and melted within only 4 days even with my custom, solid ferts regimen! So think diligently...financially, and very carefully BEFORE you decide to invest and get into live plants. Although can definitely be a significant amount of time...work...and maintenance, and in many ways are more labor intensive than fish can be, live plants ARE an absolute ton of fun! As I'm sure we all would agree that you really really really should, as it can be a very rewarding and a fine challenge, as well as a very solid and unique learning experience for you. : ) You have my positive vote sir!

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Im currently a college student and I was wondering about led as they're lower maintenance. I can invest time during college to my fish but will plants make it a harder process?I haven't ordered the plants yet and might actually use plantedaquariumcentral as they look reasonable. I decided before I posted this forum to wait on the plants as I want to be prepared for then. I ordered root tabs already though and want to find a light before getting a glass top. I'm willing to read comments and dedicate time to find an affordable low to medium led that also lasts. Where I live is minimual on some of the stores you named but I can try to find cfls at the stores that are not too far away.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The CFL you want is a 6000 to 7000 light. Most of the daylight or cool color bulbs fall in that range. The benefit of the CFL route is it's cheap. There's really no maintenance to a light other than setting a timer for it and setting it up.

Led is going to be pretty expensive to get a good light. A couple hundred generally for the name brand ones. Slightly less for knockoffs.

As far as time invested it isnt much after setup. I probably spend more time feeding my fish than caring for plants. I do trimming with water changes so that adds maybe a minute to my water change. Ferts I use root tabs everywhere and then I squirt some nilocg liquids in once daily. The real killer is tweaking everything to balance light, nutrients, and locations. For the most part though, you can just let it go as long as it wants. The fish wont mind.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I found a hood that holds a CFL bulb now I just have have to get a bulb at 6500 to fit into it. I'll check my Walmart later for the bulb. The hood is the aqueon deluxe fluorescent full hood 30". It fits nicely and looks better than the hood I had originally.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks, I think the last time I was at Walmart I saw one at 6500k and will fit.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Tbh I didnt even know they made a CFL hood. It may help to tweak it a bit. If you aren't familiar with king of diy or uaru joey I highly recommend him. Some people are off put by him but his info is usually pretty spot on, even when he goes against common wisdom, he explains why.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom