Are these otocinclus eggs? What do I do if they are?

celmoy

Today when I came home from work I noticed some little yellow spheres lying in the sand at the bottom of the tank. They definitely weren't there last night, and I don't think this morning either. Quick google search and I think they might be otocinclus eggs, but here's the confusion:

- I can only see 3, and they're all lying in the sand rather than stuck to plants/glass
- I've only had my otos for a week and a half

Here's a pic:

20200117_180738.jpg

Second part of the question: what do I do if they are eggs? I have 4 otos living with a betta in a 60L and I don't want the betta to eat the babys ☹

MacZ

Just leave them. Unless it's a wild betta or one with wild-type fins it shouldn't be able to get them anyway, after they hatch. And next thing: IF they hatch.

But good luck!

celmoy

Just leave them. Unless it's a wild betta or one with wild-type fins it shouldn't be able to get them anyway, after they hatch. And next thing: IF they hatch.

But good luck!
Thank you!

Is this a wild type fin?

Attachments

• 20200117_183956.jpg
    20200117_183956.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 120

MacZ

Close enough, yes. Pretty much. I'm not a friend of veiltails or the like. But this one I can get behind.

Still, as long as the fry don't swim close to it, it might not even notice them. There's a lot of space in a 60L.

Amazoniantanklvr

bettas lay their eggs in bubble nests. I'm pretty sure they don't sink.

MacZ

bettas lay their eggs in bubble nests. I'm pretty sure they don't sink.

The OP asked whether those are Oto-eggs. Which is affirmative.

chromedome52

No, the big yellow sphere is not an Oto egg. Too big, and as noted, not stuck on the glass or a plant. Looks like a possible seed from a plant. It is quite unusual looking.

NLindsey921

kinda looks like plant fertilizer to me. I use diy root tabs with osmotote or something like that in them and the bottom dwellers sometimes dig them up and that's what it looks like.

MacZ

No, the big yellow sphere is not an Oto egg. Too big, and as noted, not stuck on the glass or a plant. Looks like a possible seed from a plant. It is quite unusual looking.

I thought actually it might have died off and stopped sticking.

celmoy

Hello everyone! Firstly sorry for dropping off the face of the earth, I somehow managed to miss all the thread notifications.

Well I can confirm that whatever they are didnt hatch! I actually do have some fert tabs in the substrate, so NLindsay921 I think you may have it?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Replies
Views
JennCav
Replies
Views
chromedome52
  • Question
Replies