Are These Normal or HO Lights?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Mer-max, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

I've not been 100% on if I have no or ho lights, and what category this puts my 55 gallon in so I took some pics of the bulb. My plants haven't been great, I dose flourish co2 booster and flourish nitrogen so I think I have lights.

Here's pics :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, if its not what I need for ALL plants, could I just swap bulbs?

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

. I fell for the advice at petco. $88 down the drain. Well, I guess I could put it on my 75 gal with no plants. Maybe you could recommend a fixture?

Plants I've found I like so far are:

Javas, swords, moneywort ( which does ok now ) , wisteria , . . . Something cardinal - it's a pink leaved plant forgot the whole name. . . Thought about Anubis sp?

Basically I wanna be able to grow what I find and like.

4. Matt B

Bah, petco gotcha. I have this fixture:  

It is extremely affordable for dual T5HO. I've been running one for a couple months w/no complaints. Just watch your photo periods because this will put you into high light and create algae problems in an unbalanced tank.

Just fyi, with a few exceptions like some crypts, if it has red foliage it probably likes moderate to high light.

5. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

What do you grow with that? I'm tempted to order right now so be prompt if possible :) do you inject co2 or anything? Alge problems? Hang the light or set on top?

6. Matt B

I have algae problems, almost gone though. I now leave it on 5 hours and use T5NO the rest of the day, I use no c02 of any sort, just flourish comp and leaf zone. In that tank I have several varieties of cabomba growing well, also christmas moss, anubias nana, plagmonium affine.

I'm trying to have a moderate/high kind of low tech tank so my setup takes alot of fiddling with, if you use c02 you'll probably have less problems.

The only true high light plant in there is the cabomba furcata (red) but it does well at about 2-3" a week.

7. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Ordered! I use flourish and flourish nitrogen and co2 booster. That's all. What's Cambodia?

8. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Do you hang yours or set it on top of tank? Can it run just one bulb?

Also - how bad was your alge and how did you fix it?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012
  9. Matt B

I use the legs it came with and I would assume so. Cabomba is a stem plant its at the right side of the tank:[​IMG]

Close up of cabomba caroliniana:
    [​IMG]
    Close up of cabomba furcata:
    [​IMG]

Reduced photoperiods, it was gsa which I guess isn't as bad as bba from what I've read.

10. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I found Blackbeard in mine but caught it in the beginning.

I remember your tank from another thread - looks good!

Where did you find the Cambodia at?
    All they really have around here is what I have already. Kinna lame living in the country. I drive an hour an a half to a petco ; (

So if your in high light - why no more colorful plants?

* camboma auto correct is kicking my tail

11. Matt B

Thanks, I'm planting a dhg carpet in a couple weeks. My approach requires that I take it slow, Adjusting lighting and ferts as I go to prevent algae. I just really do not want to have c02.

You can find Cambodia just West of Vietnam, CABOMBA may be found on aquabid or post in the bstf forum that you want some. ;)

12. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Ha ! I imagine I could get some pretty good plants from Cambodia :) lol

Hey thanks for the advice man. I'm just getting into plants and am avoiding co2 as well. Although I'm considering a DIY setup.
    I seem to be under the impression high lighting needed co2 no matter what. .

13. Matt B

Yeah, I bet! No problem at all.

Thats pretty much true imo, I'm kind of trying to walk a tightrope so I don't have to use c02

14. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

How so? You should be in high light - so how do you get away with no co2?

15. Matt B

This is my first planted tank and I set it up with the intention of avoiding c02, as I got going I like the look of plants that need more light than my t5no provided so I got the t5ho and run it a very limited amount, maybe 4 or 5 hours a day.

So, even though my fixute is in the high light categorie I am severly limiting the exposure time for it, thus according to my plan and assumptions, I'll be able to keep some moderate and high light plants with out c02. I'm basically trying to keep the plants rate of photosynthesis up enough to inhibit algae with minimal lighting. Basically, as the co2 is used up, the plants photosynthesis slows, leaving the door open for algae to use the available nutrients and it doesn't care if its in low or high light.

16. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Ah - I got ya. I think ima try DIY co2 and if I epically fail at that. Your method seems like a good fall back

17. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't say and Odyssea fixture is in the high light category. The ballast is not of that great quality and many other T5HOs surpass it.

18. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

So what would you say it is ? I thought ho was ho

19. Matt B

I can't argue that point, you are correct many others do surpass it. I'm not aware of the process to figure how the ballast factor affects the total light output, it seemed like quite a reduction to consider it just medium lighting.

20. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

So which is it on my 55? Cause if its low ill just cancel my order because the no t5s I have aren't doing the trick. . .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice