Are These Mollies Breeding?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by hugh71158, Apr 24, 2017.

1. hugh71158Valued MemberMember

So I added two sailfin mollies on Saturday to the aquarium, and there was already a cremesicle lyretail in there.

This morning, the creamsicle is sticking to one of the sailfins, constantly nuzzling at it's belly. In fact, there was nuzzling going on to the bellies of both sailfins at one point, the cremesicle was switching back and forth.

I thought they were all males. Any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks!!!

Hugh

breeding.jpg

2. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

It could be that they are sniffing butts at this point and getting ready to to do the reproduction dance. The male will have a little "stick" below the belly area. If the other one doesn't have it I'm sure that might be female.

However it could also be that it's a new tank and they are exploring it as a tandem.

3. KO_Valued MemberMember

If you can get a better picture we can help you sex the fish. From what I can see the lighter one looks to be male.

4. hugh71158Valued MemberMember

Is this clear enough to tell? I thought they were all males. :)

Hugh

breeding3.jpg

View attachment 307531

5. KO_Valued MemberMember

By that picture, unless they have they're fins clamped I think they are all males, I don't think you should have an issue. They will need to set a pecking order, but you should be okay as long as they have the proper space.

6. hugh71158Valued MemberMember

ok, thanks. I was getting ready to deal with an explosion of wee fish!

Hugh

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice