Are these guppies a trio?

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Leafray, Aug 6, 2015.

1. LeafrayValued MemberMember

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438912388.060787.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438912404.336423.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438912420.677932.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438912437.888010.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438912465.650129.jpg
    I was recently sold these three fish as a trio, I was wondering if they actually were? It was actually quite a steal, just trying to improve the color.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. junebugFishlore LegendMember

They are a male and two females if that's what you mean. Both of the females show a severe spinal deformity. I wouldn't allow them to breed, personally.

3. TypicalAquaNew MemberMember

I see the blue female and red male have a spine deformity, if you would let them breed the fry will have a hard time going through life and have a big chance of dying

4. LeafrayValued MemberMember

I was informed be the breeder that the two females were injured as fry, I'm pretty sure physical injuries aren't part of the gene... Right?

And by " part of the trio " I'm wondering if they are the same color?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
  5. The Red SeverumValued MemberMember

I would never go back to whoever sold you those guppies... EVER. That issue you are having with those guppies is because a problem with over breeding. I usually cull these guppies and would never ever sell them to something.

6. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll make sure to never go back there again.... I payed $40 in hopes of improving the fun age in my full red line..... Thanks

I also received two other females, and since I've got them, they have been shimmying, they're in a quarantine tank.... None of my full reds are like this so I guess it really is a genetic problem.

7. junebugFishlore LegendMember

The male is the only one not showing a spinal deformity....

To the OP, I too would not go back to whoever sold them to you. Those fish have scoliosis which is the result of severe inbreeding.

The male should be okay to add to your line, but he's not a full red. If you want, there are some really good sellers on Aquabid with gorgeous full red lines that would be excellent additions to your line.

Just for future reference, in guppy breeding, the term "trio" doesn't mean three fish of the same color line. It literally just means a male and two females. So yes, this group is a trio, but obviously they're not all the same color, as you have a blue finned female.

8. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Thanks for all the help, my line of full reds ( really good looking just don't have really high dorsal fin ) throws about 1/4 albinos, 2/4 golds and 1/4 Greys, the grey females show coloring similar to blue female shown in the pic. But hey, I learned a lesson to only buy from the most reputable breeders.
    Thanks

9. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Something like this would improve the dorsal, and the red coloring. You'd also get more albino (but albinos are fry murderers, so beware).

Some other options I found;

The ATFG line, (last on the list) is particularly nice and they have very good quality fish.

10. Matt68046Valued MemberMember

Dont trust aquabid. If you want guppies, go to a store like angelsplus.com or buy from a petstore or a IFGA type breeder. Stan shubel has a internet site he still sells guppies (or his crew does) Lookup IFGA on Facebook, im sorry that you got burnt i really am, i would be mad and either ask for a refund or report him or "flag" him write a bad review. I got burnt once with wild guppies, Ill never go from AB again. Besides its fun and rewarding to get a good solid line going from petstore fish, better than just starting off with someones' overpriced fancy "culls" .
    The male has a really big cadual, but the color is not full red or anything. Could use him as a stud male or something just get some red blonde females from petsmart or something 4 or 5 or them and let him breed to them at least that way you get something, male charastics show thru more than female anyways.

11. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Matt68046 the best guppy breeders in the world sell their fish on Aquabid. You're being kinda silly refusing to buy from breeders - that's where you get the best starter stock. And you can tell who's selling culls or not easily both by reading their reviews and checking their photos closely. When in doubt, message the seller and ask for photos of the actual fish you'll receive.

BTW Stan Shubel and Alan Bias BOTH sell their fish on Aquabid, as does Kenjiro Tanaka.

Getting guppies from Petsmart is sure to infect any and all fish in your fishroom with mycobacterium and these days, they likely have iridovirus too. So that's probably not the route to go.

12. LeafrayValued MemberMember

I was thinking of crossing him with my line, I got a line out of some petco guppies that I got three years ago, they are now full red except for a little part on their chests, I have it tossed with a few albinos to get better coloring. Anyways, I was wondering if this snakeskin albino would increase the dorsal? Also is this blue grass good?
    Thanks

13. junebugFishlore LegendMember

It's best to stick with fish in the same color spectrum as what you're trying to breed. If your fish are throwing mostly full reds, unless you want to line breed another strain down from them, you're best sticking with full reds. There are tons of them out there with impressive dorsal form. Some in the links I provided, some I'm sure you'll come across on your own :)

14. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Yeah, I just found a great local breeder and will be getting one pair from him! His guppies are just gorgeous

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438987540.236851.jpg
    This is the guppies getting tomorrow :) one pair with prehit female guppy for 20 bucks, well worth the price imo

15. junebugFishlore LegendMember

There ya go, even better :) handsome guppy boy, just make sure you quarantine the newcomers for a good long time :)

16. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Yup! They're going into a ten gallon for a week or so :)

17. junebugFishlore LegendMember

Two month minimum QT for all new livebearers. They're disease prone and a week is nowhere near long enough to tell if they might be carrying something. One month is the bare minimum QT period for general fishkeeping purposes, personally I would QT guppies for a lot longer than that.

18. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Actually, the ten gallon is a permenant home for the time being, gonna try to develop this strain a little more :)

19. Matt68046Valued MemberMember

@junebug,this guy that just got burnt for 40 dollars on AB, so I was trying to offer some reasonable alternatives. Guppies don't get Fish TB that often, very rare. You can't expect noobs to spend 40 dollars on show guppies, then they get robbed, spend 50 dollars more, then probably kill them because, well their noobs. let them breed some hybrids from the petstore and learn the hard way like we all have to!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  20. LeafrayValued MemberMember

I appreciate your advice, but I actually have more then 15 tanks up and running for over three years without problems. The breeder I got home from posted a pic of a " full " red guppy and he said the fish looked like the picture..... I currently have four lines, my full red, (made from a petsmart guppy), a halfback purple/blue, the albino full red, and a galaxy medusa line.

Albino Guppy Galore!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice