Are These Fish Really Suitable For A 5 Gallon? 5 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by -Sofia-, Apr 17, 2018.

1. -Sofia-

-Sofia- Valued Member Member

Hello,
    I want to know if these fish are really right for a 5G, I'm asking because I don't want to get a fish then realize it should have bigger (I've already done that, but don't want to again)

Chili rasboras (in a proper school)
    Pea puffer
    ADFs (2)
    Endlers
    Celestial danios

If any of these fish require to be in a group/pair please tell me!

I think that's it, if you have any other suggestions please let me know :)

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

your schooling species need at least 20 gallons, these are the rasboras and the danios. danios also like it colder than the rest of the species listed. I would be careful with the puffer and the dwarf frogs since the frogs might get picked on.

3. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

All of your choices are listed on the 5g stocking options Stocking List For 5 Gallon Nano Aquariums, and therefore would be fine in a 5g (not all together, but any one of the choices in the numbers listed in the linked thread).

I keep chili rasboras in my 15g, lovely active little fish.

4. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

What is an ADF?

5. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

African dwarf frog.

I would just do 1 pea puffer in this tank.

6. Hego_Damask

Hego_Damask Valued Member Member

^African dwarf frog

You can keep chili rasboras in a 10, but I wouldn’t do a 5

7. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

Any one of those species should be fine, just don't try to mix and match. ;) I'd be sure to just get one gender if you go with Endlers. The Chilis or the CPDs would need a school of at least 6, but they're super tiny so 6 in a five gallon tank should be fine. The more heavily planted your tank, the more comfortable most of these species will be. My chilis in particular were super skittish until I put them in a tank full of tall crypts, and now they're always out in the open begging for food like everyone else does.

I've never actually kept frogs, so I'm not 100% on their stocking requirements. I've heard they do best in species only tanks, though, so a dedicated 5 gallon sounds like s good plan if you wanted them.

8. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

those are all suitable for a 5g. the rasboras are small enough to be kept in a small group in a 5g as well as endlers

9. K

Kristian Acevedo Valued Member Member

I’ve also read a lot that ember tetras and habrosus cory’s (salt and pepper cory’s) are okay for 5g tanks. I’m going to go out on a limb and assume I’ll be receiving lots of ridicule for this, i’m not advocating it, but I have seen it done with great success, and even behaviors like spawning in these type set ups (a mate of mine had a betta and 4 habrosus in a rimless 6g, and the cory’s kept breeding he had to sell off the young), just just some food for though

10. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Speaking as someone who has kept endlers for years, I wouldn't do them in a 5 gallon; they are very active and tend to pick on each other a lot unless they're in a group of 5 or more.

11. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

Corys are best in 15+ gallons
    edit: made it not capslock lol

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  12. K

You can yell mate, I’m explaining personal experiences, not advocating what to do or not to do. Everyone’s gonna feel differently about different things.

13. puffer boi

Sorry for that lol i had to go with my mom and i forgot that a had caps lock on:confused:. i still think that corys are best in 15+

14. K

I get that, but as much as I love fishlore and it’s my favorite fish forum, there are other well known and respected forums where the dwarf corys in particular are considered nano fish and many people keep 6-9 Habrosus for example with cpds or a betta in a 5-7g tank and they have long happy lives

15. M

Mr.Mang09 Valued Member Member

Aren’t scarlet badis a 5 gallon fish too?

16. OP
    OP
    -Sofia-

-Sofia- Valued Member Member

Thank you all for your replies, I probably should have made it clear that I am not putting all together, it is only on species in the tank (but possibly shrimp if it is a calmer fish) So I will cross endlers and rasboras off the list, but does everything else seem okay?

17. puffer boi

no only choose one...

18. K

You could do cpds, and shrimp, or cpds and habrosus cories, both of those are very prevelant combinations. Or you can stick with one, either way be extremely cautious of water parameters, and overstocking issues. Nano tanks really do have a beautiful appeal, so with proper planning you can really do something special

19. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

I agree. And do be wary of any types of puffers, tiny pea ones or not, as they can and will become aggressive towards a lot of other organisms...

20. K

Yes, 100% pea puffer alone if that’s the route. And might as well start breeding pest snails to feed him

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice