Are these fish okay for my tank?

• Thread starter aquanoodle
  • Start date

aquanoodle

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting :) I have a shallow 9 gal tank that has almost cycled. It will also have a rather big piece of driftwood with lots of nooks and crannies that I have recently gotten to sink in another tub. I plan to plant it as much as I can, I'll use mostly stem plants since I have inert fine gravel as substrate. I was planning to stock it along the lines of 8 ember tetra, 2 oto catfish, 1 assassin snail and either 2-3 kuhli loaches or panda corydoras. Now I realize this might be heavy stocking but I'll be on top of water changes. The tank is open top, so I was wondering if I could make kuhli loaches work in there. I'm sort of stuck between them and the panda cories. I would appreciate any suggestions and feedback!

Edit: Forgot to add, I have an AquaClear 20 HOB filter.

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
Sorry, to say so, but it's far too small. I wouldn't keep any fish in a tank that size.

Cinnabar

Hi, welcome to fishlore! Sounds like you’ve got a beautiful tank set up, but that’s quite a lot of fish for a small amount of water. You said you have a big piece of driftwood? That could take up a lot of space. Considering the driftwood, substrate, equipment, and the fact that you can fill it all the way to the top, it probably ends up being a lot less than 9 gal of water.

There are still plenty of cool fish you can stock it with though, just not as extensive as your list. Maybe a small group of nano fish, but that’s still stretching it a bit. Definitely no corys, otos, or loaches.

aquanoodle

Cinnabar said:
Hi, welcome to fishlore! Sounds like you’ve got a beautiful tank set up, but that’s quite a lot of fish for a small amount of water. You said you have a big piece of driftwood? That could take up a lot of space. Considering the driftwood, substrate, equipment, and the fact that you can fill it all the way to the top, it probably ends up being a lot less than 9 gal of water.

There are still plenty of cool fish you can stock it with though, just not as extensive as your list. Maybe a small group of nano fish, but that’s still stretching it a bit. Definitely no corys, otos, or loaches.
I see, I suppose I did get too excited and went overboard with what I want to keep! I'll have to save those for another tank, then :( Assuming I can still make ember tetras work, is there anything I can keep that'll help with cleanup?

Leeman75

Well Known
Welcome Aquanoodle!! I do have to agree with what is said here. I often struggle between the line of enough/too much myself, so I get where you're coming from!!

My advice is to start with the Ember Tetras (maybe 6) and let them acclimate and the beneficial bacteria build up to their biolode and then see from there.

Also, I'm no snail expert (probably wouldn't even say I'm a novice) but without other snails to feed on, I'm not sure that an Assassin snail is the right type of snail for the tank either. If you do go with him, I would research what to feed it in absence of prey snails and be very intentional on feeding to it specifically.

I'd love to see a picture of your tank and the driftwood! I'm a driftwood nut!! :)

Cinnabar

aquanoodle said:
I see, I suppose I did get too excited and went overboard with what I want to keep! I'll have to save those for another tank, then :( Assuming I can still make ember tetras work, is there anything I can keep that'll help with cleanup?
Shrimps are always fun! If you’ve got the right water parameters they’ll thrive in a planted driftwood setup. Look up cardina and neocardina shrimps. There’s tons of color varieties, but be warned, some species can be very fragile lol.

When starting out, try with a smaller group of your tetras. If you can keep the water parameters in check after two months or so, feel free to search for more additions. (wow I sound like an infomercial narrator, how do I stop)

Dippiedee

How do you feel about keeping shrimp?

aquanoodle

Leeman75 said:
Welcome Aquanoodle!! I do have to agree with what is said here. I often struggle between the line of enough/too much myself, so I get where you're coming from!!

My advice is to start with the Ember Tetras (maybe 6) and let them acclimate and the beneficial bacteria build up to their biolode and then see from there.

Also, I'm no snail expert (probably wouldn't even say I'm a novice) but without other snails to feed on, I'm not sure that an Assassin snail is the right type of snail for the tank either. If you do go with him, I would research what to feed it in absence of prey snails and be very intentional on feeding to it specifically.

I'd love to see a picture of your tank and the driftwood! I'm a driftwood nut!! :)
Hello! Yep, it seems I went quite overboard haha! I think that's what I'll do for now and begin with a little group of embers. I had went with an assassin mostly for preventative measures, since in a previous empty tank I had an explosion of pest snails and it quite frankly scarred me! :yuck: The fact that they wouldn't touch the plants sounded good too. I would definitely have to feed them. For now I've decided to hold off any snails.

I'll definitely post a picture of the final thing! So am I! :)

FishGirl115

Well Known
aquanoodle said:
I think you could definitely do 8-10 ember tetras and some type of snail for clean up.

aquanoodle

Cinnabar said:
Shrimps are always fun! If you’ve got the right water parameters they’ll thrive in a planted driftwood setup. Look up cardina and neocardina shrimps. There’s tons of color varieties, but be warned, some species can be very fragile lol.

When starting out, try with a smaller group of your tetras. If you can keep the water parameters in check after two months or so, feel free to search for more additions. (wow I sound like an infomercial narrator, how do I stop)
Alrighty! If all goes well I might go with shrimp then! :p

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
FishGirl115 said:
I think you could definitely do 8-10 ember tetras and some type of snail for clean up.
That's far too many. It would be better to go a size smaller fish-wise with chili rasbora or similar species. Then 8-10 would be feasible.

FishGirl115

Well Known
MacZ said:
That's far too many. It would be better to go a size smaller fish-wise with chili rasbora or similar species. Then 8-10 would be feasible.
Oh sorry! I meant to say chili rasbora.

aquanoodle

Dippiedee said:
How do you feel about keeping shrimp?
Pretty good, I am considering them :) Just worried about sensitivity.

Dippiedee

aquanoodle said:
P

Pretty good, I am considering them :) Just worried about sensitivity.
If you do decide to go for shrimp definitely make sure your tank is fully cycled and ready before hand :)

Leeman75

Well Known
I would say with the Chili Rasboras, you'll find that they are very hard to find right now. Most online places have had them sold out for a while. I can't find them anywhere locally either.

FishGirl115

Well Known
Leeman75 said:
I would say with the Chili Rasboras, you'll find that they are very hard to find right now. Most online places have had them sold out for a while. I can't find them anywhere locally either.
I must be lucky. One of my LFS's have them

Leeman75

Well Known
FishGirl115 said:
I must be lucky. One of my LFS's have them
You ARE so lucky!! I have looked all over for them locally and online. There was only like 1 place that had them online and they were so super expensive that it would have taken over $100 with shipping to get them. I had to change my whole tank concept and put Neon Tetras in instead.

FishGirl115

Well Known
Leeman75 said:
You ARE so lucky!! I have looked all over for them locally and online. There was only like 1 place that had them online and they were so super expensive that it would have taken over $100 with shipping to get them. I had to change my whole tank concept and put Neon Tetras in instead.
Wow! Lol. Do you like neon tetras too? I love mine

Leeman75

Well Known
I do. They are really vibrantly colored, which was what I was going for in my Hex tank.

20200926_201924.jpg

bciver

MacZ said:
Listen to MacZ. He knows what he’s talking about. For me I would not put kuhli loaches in a 9 gallon. Beautiful tank man, good luck.

HolyKamikaziBetta

MacZ said:
Sorry, to say so, but it's far too small. I wouldn't keep any fish in a tank that size.
Hello, nano tank.

aquanoodle

Leeman75 said:

This is how it currently looks, I’m waiting for plants to arrive :) Nitrites are taking forever to go down - I do have around 10ppm nitrate - the wait is painful!

Attachments

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
HolyKamikaziBetta said:
Hello, nano tank.
That still means a limited number of species and many others are not faesible in a tank below 15 gallons.

aquanoodle

MacZ said:
That still means a limited number of species and many others are not faesible in a tank below 15 gallons.
Yes I'm aware I was quite overambitious per my first stocking wishes! I'm taking everyone into consideration and will try to stock as nano-friendly as possible :)

aquanoodle

andy305mia

Well Known
Embers yes, loaches no, would be tight for good size school on pandas imo. Otos should be fine but do 6 they be a shoaling fish

HolyKamikaziBetta

MacZ said:
I have a shrimp nano.
It’s one of my favorites to just... stare at. Lol.
but I agree. When I started afew years ago, I had a 10g... then 3 of them... then I was like, nahhh go big & got a 60.
I like higher ones because there’s so much you can do with it. Id like to eventually try a 10gWalstad.

aquanoodle

HolyKamikaziBetta said:
I have a shrimp nano.
It’s one of my favorites to just... stare at. Lol.
but I agree. When I started afew years ago, I had a 10g... then 3 of them... then I was like, nahhh go big & got a 60.
I like higher ones because there’s so much you can do with it. Id like to eventually try a 10gWalstad.
That seems like the trend :D
I'll also most likely go a tad bit bigger with my next tank.

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
andy305mia said:
Embers yes, loaches no, would be tight for good size school on pandas imo. Otos should be fine but do 6 they be a shoaling fish
6 Otos in a newly setup 9 Gallon? They will starve. Pandas are neither a good idea. Agree on the loaches, though.

andy305mia

Well Known
MacZ said:
6 Otos in a newly setup 9 Gallon? They will starve. Pandas are neither a good idea. Agree on the loaches, though.
Otocinclus food can also include supplements such as algae wafers and even some fresh vegetables not just algae but yes a well established tank with algae in it would be ideal

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
I know. The point is to get them to eat something supplementory. Even if it were tankbred, that are far less sensitive and would eat supplements, I'd not put any in a tank that size. It's almost impossible to keep the water quality (not parameters) on an otofriendly level. In any case, Otos can make you want to quit the hobby if you get a bad batch of wild caughts. This here would be the extra hard level of trying Otos.

andy305mia

Well Known
MacZ said:
I know. The point is to get them to eat something supplementory. Even if it were tankbred, that are far less sensitive and would eat supplements, I'd not put any in a tank that size. It's almost impossible to keep the water quality (not parameters) on an otofriendly level. In any case, Otos can make you want to quit the hobby if you get a bad batch of wild caughts. This here would be the extra hard level of trying Otos.
Honestly I have never kept them because I heard they are a mission, perhaps I should of sat out on this one. All I really know is that they are shoaling fish and prefer being in larger groups

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
It's fine. OP will likely make good use of this extra info. It is true they feel better in groups, but they also need a sufficiently big tank to sustain them with algae and aufwuchs in case supplements don't work. Usually that means at least 30-40 gallons for just a group of 6-8. Many lost all but 1-2, I personally gave up after mine died over the course of 4 months and finally went extinct in my tank. It hasn't worked for me 25 years ago, it didn't last year either.

Cinnabar

aquanoodle said:
This is how it currently looks, I’m waiting for plants to arrive :) Nitrites are taking forever to go down - I do have around 10ppm nitrate - the wait is painful!
Oh my that is GORGEOUS!! Can’t wait to see where you’ll take this. I have to warn you though- not sure if you’re keeping any jumpers, but one day you might come home to a piece of crispy fish jerky on the floor...

HolyKamikaziBetta

aquanoodle said:
That seems like the trend :D
I'll also most likely go a tad bit bigger with my next tank.
I love my big tank.
Mira a pain in the butt to clean, lol. Especially since it has soil and sand. But it gives me something to do for sure.

aquanoodle

Cinnabar said:
Oh my that is GORGEOUS!! Can’t wait to see where you’ll take this. I have to warn you though- not sure if you’re keeping any jumpers, but one day you might come home to a piece of crispy fish jerky on the floor...
Thank you! :) I'm trying to eliminate all particular jumpers but the rest is prayer lol! I'm hoping lots of floating plants to at least aid a little bit...

Top Bottom