Are these fish compatible with Bleeding Heart Tetras.

1. Canadian Fish Member Member

I was wondering if the following fish are compatible, and if I can stock them in a 35 gallon tank (36"x12.5"x18")

7 Bleeding Heart Tetras
    1 Pearl Gourami
    7 Harlequin Rasboras
    5 Zebra Loaches (Botia striata)

I like these because they vary in color and swimming level. I think they would fill out a tank nicely.

I am completely open to other ideas but I have to half the bleeding heart tetras, my wife has been asking for them since our first tank, and this is our third.

Thanks!

2. STLBluesFan Member Member

i dont know about much about Loaches.. but other than that, these fish would be fine together

3. Canadian Fish Member Member

I ended up putting the zebra loaches in my 55 gallon tank.

The fin nipping makes the Bleeding Hearts a pain to match up, but my wife is set on them.

Now I'm looking for a bottom dweller to go with them instead of the loaches.

I already have false julii cories and leopard cories in a 20 gallon tank. And I'm putting a Bristlenose Pleco in the 55 as well. I'm looking for something different for the 35 gallon.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks guys.

4. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

5. Canadian Fish Member Member

My wife likes snails, are there any common species that don't breed like crazy?

6. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Nerite snails cannot breed in freshwater, and mystrysnail eggs are easily removed if any are layed.( you can also keep the water level up to keep them from laying eggs, since they lay them above the waterline.)

7. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Kuhli loaches would work just fine. They're peaceful but very active.

8. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Bleeding hearts get kind.. BIG for a 35 jmo.

9. Canadian Fish Member Member

The tank is 36" long. Do they really need a 48" tank? I would have thought 3 feet would suffice. They max out at what, 3"?