Are These Eggs?

Discussion in 'Our Other Pets' started by PraptiPanda, Aug 7, 2017.

1. PraptiPanda

PraptiPanda Valued Member Member

Went to the plains near my house today and found these tiny clusters stuck to the grass. What are these - eggs? Of what creature? The whole cluster is about the size of my thumb nail.
    I'd sure love a grasshopper or two :) IMG_20170807_192619.JPG

2. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Those are spittle bug eggs:)

3. OP
    OP
    PraptiPanda

So there are definitely larvae inside? I'd love to have it as a pet. Sounds weird, I know.

4. _IceFyre_

I don't know very much about them, but I assume so. They might be fun to raise;)
    If you want to try to take them home, it would probably be best to take the whole piece of grass instead of trying to take off the "spit" alone:)

5. OP
    OP
    PraptiPanda

I actually took the whole plant home :) I really want something different. I think I'll set up a terrarium. Do they hop or just crawl? I don't think I've ever seen an adult.

6. _IceFyre_

I did a bit of research and apparently they hop from plant to plant and can jump 100 times their own length, so a lid would be necessary. The larvae suck sap out of the stems of plants and the adults eat most types of plant matter. Good luck with your new pet!:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice