10 Gallon Tank Are these Crabs Compatible with Coral?

JtheFishMan
In my saltwater tank, I have several blue legged hermit crabs and a small pipe organ coral. I just read on an article that these crabs can eat pipe organ coral, but some others are saying they won’t. You can see my hermit on the coral in the pictures. It doesn’t seem to be eating them, though, but the corals slightly close up when the crabs shell rubs against the sprouting parts.

Does anyone have a solid answer to that question; do blue legged hermit crabs eat pipe organ coral?

Mike
Wow it sure looks like they are all up in there... I only keep snails nowadays just because many crabs will maybe not eat but will pick at corals.

fish 321
Not sure I have some but they don't bother corals at all.

JtheFishMan
fish 321 said:
Not sure I have some but they don't bother corals at all.
Mine does not seem to bother the corals either . . . I was just interested in other's opinions and experiences.

Jesterrace
JtheFishMan said:
In my saltwater tank, I have several blue legged hermit crabs and a small pipe organ coral. I just read on an article that these crabs can eat pipe organ coral, but some others are saying they won’t. You can see my hermit on the coral in the pictures. It doesn’t seem to be eating them, though, but the corals slightly close up when the crabs shell rubs against the sprouting parts.

Does anyone have a solid answer to that question; do blue legged hermit crabs eat pipe organ coral?
The truth is that all crabs are opportunists, so it is possible that they could bother or eat them. That said if they are well fed they generally will spend less time bothering things. The smaller the crab, the less trouble they are though. I have Blue Hermits but my tank is LPS exclusive so they are a bit much for small hermits to go after.

JtheFishMan
Jesterrace said:
The truth is that all crabs are opportunists, so it is possible that they could bother or eat them. That said if they are well fed they generally will spend less time bothering things. The smaller the crab, the less trouble they are though. I have Blue Hermits but my tank is LPS exclusive so they are a bit much for small hermits to go after.
Ok, thank you for the information. I had a freshwater crayfish at one point, and he was very opportunistic as well. He would eat anything that I dropped into the tank. However, he did not stay small forever, lol.

Latest threads

Top Bottom