Are These Bristles On My Pleco

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Somethingcreative123456, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Somethingcreative123456

Somethingcreative123456Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    Just started
    2BF93A57-51D6-49BA-B6A0-4F1A4C651AC0. Hay you guys I have noticed these and I’m wondering if they are the starts of bristles on my Bristlenose Plecostomus. Here is a picture

2. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +332
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I do see some on the sides coming in

3. OP
    OP
    Somethingcreative123456

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    Just started
    image.
    Ok awesome here is a better picture

4. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +332
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Are you talking about the nose area on top? I forget what those are called but they're on almost all species of plecos if I remember right Not bristles.

If you look in the first photo right on the edge near the right gill those are little bristles starting. Not sure if its male or female yet but I do see some bristles forming!

5. OP
    OP
    Somethingcreative123456

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    Just started
    Ok cool sorry about the horrible photos the little thing is constantly moving

6. Magicpenny75

Magicpenny75Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,257
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have one probably twice the size of this and he/sh is just startig to get identifiable bristles. I'm hoping it's a she bc they are not my favorite thing lol.

7. OP
    OP
    Somethingcreative123456

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    Just started
    Haha, I’m hoping just the opposite because I love the bristles

8. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,723
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Normally the bristles will start growing around the mouth area. I know that is where they started with Elbert. Once those started getting longer then they started growing up his face.

If you click on my avatar you will see a bigger photo of him and can see the ones around his mouth.

9. OP
    OP
    Somethingcreative123456

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yeah I’m really hoping it’s a male

10. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,723
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I was the same way and was really happy when I was sure he was a male. I know when they very first started growing I was told that some females have tiny bristles around their mouth so until they started growing longer and then going up hos nose I still didn't know for sure. If I am remembering correctly it took about 2 months after I saw the first sign of bristles until they were long enough to know for sure.

Elbert started out being named Ellie Mae. Once I was really sure he wasn't a little girl it changed to Elbert.

I do have a female super red now. She is close to 2 years old now and there is no sign of bristles at all on her Her name is Evelyn.

Just recently I bought a male super red. He is still tiny but when he stays still long enough for me to get a good look at him I see his tiny bristles. I do hope they will grow longer and will be easier to see. His name is Little Red.

One day when Little Red gets bigger I hope to put him and Evelyn together and end up will lots of little super reds.

Right now Evelyn is in the tank with Elbert. They kinda hang out together but so far I've not seen them acting like they are ready to settle down and make some little guys.They probably would if I would give them a more comfortable place to lay eggs and raise babies but I really don't want to go out of my way to get babies from them. I would rather wait for Little Red to grow up.