Are these both zebra nerites?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by kidster9700, Jul 6, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

I bought these two guys as zebra nerite snails. Now, the one with thinner stripes here does look like a zebra nerite to me ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436211052.493619.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436211218.389608.jpg it doesn't move a lot and acts like a nerite would (hence my inability to get a good picture since it doesn't move from the darker spots for like two hours)
    Now, this other guy is as active as my inca snail and has a slightly different shell shape and the stripes are different. What is this guy???? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436211175.723536.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436211200.936552.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436211235.066938.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436211288.907894.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

3. stargazerwolf

stargazerwolf Valued Member Member

The first definitely a nerite, the second...looks like a ramshorn though I've never seen one with that pattern.

4. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I have blue and red ramshorns and that guy has too round of a shell. If anything I think he might be a mystery snail, like a striped ivory/black mix. And if it was a ramshorn I would have a billion more by now since he's been in there for two weeks.

Here is a size comparison. That's my index finger. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436213067.316151.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
  5. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

The first one is a zebra nerite, the second one is definitely a mystery snail. It's got really cool coloring for a mystery. I would guess he's a mix of a gold and black.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Sweet! I guess I got lucky then because they were selling the mystery snails for like $5 and these guys were only $2

7. Bijou88

Looks like it! Mystery snails are so much fun, you'll be glad you ended up with one. :)

8. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

He's a pretty snail. Great color. Alison

9. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Added a black mystery today, here's all three of my mystery snails together. You can tell that the striped guy is def a mystery. And his foot is purple! ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436313838.880432.jpg

10. Bijou88

Haha, now it looks like mama, daddy and baby with the color combos, cute!

11. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Okay, so slightly off topic of this thread, but I just checked my "snail bucket" for bladder/ramshorns to feed to my assassins and I got a really cool bladder snail color combo. White/light tan shell (not gross and see through) with a black foot, saved the two that looked like that. Kept one in the breeding bucking and threw the bigger one in my tank. Maybe these mystery snails will pop out something cool as well!!

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed with Bijou, the first is a nerite and the other one is a mystery. Very cool coloration!

13. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Nice colours

14. K

Kyle 2048 Valued Member Member

15. Bijou88

It's a mystery snail, ramshorn look completely different.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice