75 Gallon Tank Are these both Emerald Corys

Gameynerd23

Hello, I just got these two groups of Corys at two different stores. One group came from one of my LFS so I'm confident that they're Emerald Corys (Corydoras/Brochis Splendens, I think they're the same species). I got the second group from a local Petco and their supposedly Emerald Corys, but seeing the two groups side by side has me a little worried. The group from the LFS has that beautiful metallic green coloration while the Petco group has a more brown body with a darker spot behind the head. The picture is blurry, but I think it shows what I mean.
20210411_162329.jpg

20210411_162325.jpg

DoubleDutch

The left one definitely isn't but doubt the right one is one as well (looks like two C.aeneus (bronze and green).
But better pics are needed

Gameynerd23

DoubleDutch said:
The left one definitely isn't but doubt the right one is one as well (looks like two C.aeneus (bronze and green).
But better pics are needed
They've been out more now, so I got some better pictures. I wanted Emerald Corys because they get bigger and because they're sharing the space with some Dojo Loaches. The Corys haven't been bothered or chased at all and both groups have been hanging out together. The first picture is of the LFS Corys and the second is the Petco Corys. The Petco Corys had a little information tag by their price that said they could be up to 3.5 inches, but I think that's more of a super max size. The LFS employeesaid the Corys from there would grow about another .25 inches. The largest one of those is probably a little over 2 inches.
20210411_190916.jpg

20210411_190906.jpg

Mlou

The second pic with the fish with a dark spot on its side is unusual. Reminds me almost of the color blotch of the orange Venezuelan Cory?...except there’s no orange with your fish.

DoubleDutch

They are all C.aeneus only two different color variaties. Not emeralds (Corydoras splendens)

Gameynerd23

DoubleDutch said:
They are all C.aeneus only two different color variaties. Not emeralds (Corydoras splendens)
Aw, dang it. That kinda stinks... I think I'll keep them anyway because none of them, even the smaller Corys, are getting picked on by my Dojo Loaches. I wanted C. Splendens for their size and in hopes they'd be a bit tougher if the loaches decided to be mean. That is frustrating. I feel kind of tricked, but I don't know if I can return them. Thanks for the help in identifying them, though.

Gameynerd23

I have two more questions, if someone has an answer:
1. My Dojo Loaches haven't been messing with the Corys, but in case they do, will the Aeneus Corys be able to take it and give it back or will they just get super stressed?
2. I was wanting a total of 15 Corys. If I keep the Aeneus Corys, can I add a group of the Albino variant of C. Aeneus to reach 15?

Mlou

The albinos are a variant strain of the bronze Aeneas so I wouldn’t think it’s a problem. If you want some albinos then go for it.

Mcasella

Gameynerd23 said:
I have two more questions, if someone has an answer:
1. My Dojo Loaches haven't been messing with the Corys, but in case they do, will the Aeneus Corys be able to take it and give it back or will they just get super stressed?
2. I was wanting a total of 15 Corys. If I keep the Aeneus Corys, can I add a group of the Albino variant of C. Aeneus to reach 15?
Cories have spikes on the leading edge of the dorsal and pectoral fins, they can and will use them to play defense if something is harassing them (mainly they are straightened if something tries to eat them). Dojos shouldn't bother them, but they might accidentally bulldoze them as they get larger and clumsy.

Leeman75

I have often found Petco to sell Bronze Cories as Emerald Cories. I even fell for the same thing as well and have 3 of them in my tank along with a true Emerald who looks like he took steroids because he's much bigger. They're still cute little things and get on well with my Panda and Albino Cories.

As for the Loaches, I would imagine they'll be fine. I have had large EBAs, Firemouth, and a Severum in the same tank as mine and though Black Neon Tetras and Platies were snacks for the Cichlids, the smaller Cories have never been.

Gameynerd23

Mcasella said:
Cories have spikes on the leading edge of the dorsal and pectoral fins, they can and will use them to play defense if something is harassing them (mainly they are straightened if something tries to eat them). Dojos shouldn't bother them, but they might accidentally bulldoze them as they get larger and clumsy.
That's good to know. The Dojos have bumped the Corys once or twice, but I also don't think they'll bother them. I'm glad I don't NEED to get larger Corys because I've already gotten attached to the Aeneus Corys in there. They explore all over the tank and they're just so darn cute! I do feel a little bamboozled by the common name confusion, but they're still Corys and I love Corys. Thanks to everyone for the help!

Mcasella

Gameynerd23 said:
That's good to know. The Dojos have bumped the Corys once or twice, but I also don't think they'll bother them. I'm glad I don't NEED to get larger Corys because I've already gotten attached to the Aeneus Corys in there. They explore all over the tank and they're just so darn cute! I do feel a little bamboozled by the common name confusion, but they're still Corys and I love Corys. Thanks to everyone for the help!
The aeneus should reach a total length between 2.5 and 3 inches, sometimes a little larger for an old female.

Gameynerd23

Leeman75 said:
I have often found Petco to sell Bronze Cories as Emerald Cories. I even fell for the same thing as well and have 3 of them in my tank along with a true Emerald who looks like he took steroids because he's much bigger. They're still cute little things and get on well with my Panda and Albino Cories.

As for the Loaches, I would imagine they'll be fine. I have had large EBAs, Firemouth, and a Severum in the same tank as mine and though Black Neon Tetras and Platies were snacks for the Cichlids, the smaller Cories have never been.
Yeah, I may get a few true Emerald Corys someday, but I'll probably just order them online to be sure I'm actually getting C. Splendens.
Mcasella said:
The aeneus should reach a total length between 2.5 and 3 inches, sometimes a little larger for an old female.
I think some of them are already full grown, but there's one or two that are just little guys. I was really worried about them, but after the initial inspection by the Dojos (I love how curious they are, lol), even the little Corys haven't gotten any trouble, which is awesome. I have Danios in the tank as well, and they're about the same size in terms of length. Sometimes they hang around the bottom, but the Dojos ignore them, too.

Mlou

Aren't the Emeralds a different price point from the regular bronze cories? If so I would be very upset. I know we keep fish for the fun of having these great creatures but the price is also a consideration. I don't think such a mistake should just be ignored. I would have returned them and gotten my money back and get what I really want. JMHO

Mcasella

Mlou said:
Aren't the Emeralds a different price point from the regular bronze cories? If so I would be very upset. I know we keep fish for the fun of having these great creatures but the price is also a consideration. I don't think such a mistake should just be ignored. I would have returned them and gotten my money back and get what I really want. JMHO
Bronze are around 4-5$, true brochis can be more, but sometimes they send in true brochis as bronze.

Gameynerd23

Mlou said:
The LFS group were $6 a piece and the Petco group were just under $5 a piece. I haven't bought true Emerald Corys before, so the price wasn't a red flag for me. I may see if my LFS will take all of them and at least refund me for the group I got from them. Of course, they forgot to give me a receipt...

Mlou

Gameynerd23 said:
The LFS group were $6 a piece and the Petco group were just under $5 a piece. I haven't bought true Emerald Corys before, so the price wasn't a red flag for me. I may see if my LFS will take all of them and at least refund me for the group I got from them. Of course, they forgot to give me a receipt...
Oh so the price wasn't that different. At least that is ok. But still....I hope you can get a refund so that you can get what you really want.

Gameynerd23

Mlou said:
Oh so the price wasn't that different. At least that is ok. But still....I hope you can get a refund so that you can get what you really want.
I'm gonna look into getting a refund for the LFS group and either surrendering or getting store credit for the Petco group. Both groups would be going to the LFS.

Mlou

Gameynerd23 said:
I'm gonna look into getting a refund for the LFS group and either surrendering or getting store credit for the Petco group. Both groups would be going to the LFS.
Best of luck. Get what you really want.

Gameynerd23

Update:
I got a refund for half of the Aeneus Corys, but I had to surrender the other half. Today, I got 12 Corydoras Splendens. I got them right as the store did, so their correct name was on the bag from the breeder. I'm super happy!
Here's some pics of the Corys. (featuring one of my Dojos, lol)

20210415_161551.jpg

20210415_161538.jpg

20210415_161532.jpg

Mlou

Congrats. I am glad it all got sorted out and you got the fish you want. Just be sure to watch carefully for signs of sickness since the fish just arrived.

DoubleDutch

Great news !

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom