Are These Betta Stress Stripes?

roXen

Reaction score
I see black horizonal lines on my betta but wasn't sure if this was natural coloration or stress stripes.

Screenshot_20190423-091025_Video Player.jpg

BettaMom98

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Usually when they show stress stripes they show other symptoms as well like clamped fins, it could be the very beginning of stress stripes. Is he new?

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Stress stripes are normally horizontal lines on the betta, but I can't really see anything on your betta. Can you get a better picture of his side?

It's hard to see prominent stress stripes on males because of their colourations, but you should be able to see the stripes around their face.

OP
roXen

roXen

Reaction score
Yes I got him 2 weeks ago. When I first brought him home, his color was completely pale but has since perked up. He's also unlike my other red halfmoon betta. Very docile and shy and actually runs away from tetras that get too near.

OP
roXen

roXen

Reaction score
Repolie said:
Stress stripes are normally horizontal lines on the betta, but I can't really see anything on your betta. Can you get a better picture of his side?

It's hard to see prominent stress stripes on males because of their colourations, but you should be able to see the stripes around their face.
Here's another one I took just now right under the aquarium light to give better perspective.

20190423_092917.jpg

OP
roXen

roXen

Reaction score
lilabug4545 said:
Those just look like the lines of the scales!
blue velvet keeper said:
it doesn't look like it but he is a awsome fish!
That's a relief. Thank you!

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
roXen said:
Here's another one I took just now right under the aquarium light to give better perspective.

20190423_092917.jpg
Yeah I don't see stress stripes on him.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Stress stripes are very apparent and if the fish is indeed stressed you will also see pale coloration and clamped fins. Keep in mind that light bodied fish won’t show striping at all.

These are more like stress stripes but are actually just juvenile markings on this little betta.
44F964B5-2CDB-4E51-A0B4-1A202C6D2EBA.jpeg

Your betta looks perfectly fine.

OP
roXen

roXen

Reaction score
Demeter said:
Stress stripes are very apparent and if the fish is indeed stressed you will also see pale coloration and clamped fins. Keep in mind that light bodied fish won’t show striping at all.

These are more like stress stripes but are actually just juvenile markings on this little betta.
44F964B5-2CDB-4E51-A0B4-1A202C6D2EBA.jpeg

Your betta looks perfectly fine.
Thank you! This is very helpful information.

New Threads