Are These Betta Stress Stripes?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by roXen, Apr 23, 2019.

1. roXenValued MemberMember

I see black horizonal lines on my betta but wasn't sure if this was natural coloration or stress stripes.

Screenshot_20190423-091025_Video Player.jpg

2. BettaMom98Valued MemberMember

Usually when they show stress stripes they show other symptoms as well like clamped fins, it could be the very beginning of stress stripes. Is he new?

3. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Stress stripes are normally horizontal lines on the betta, but I can't really see anything on your betta. Can you get a better picture of his side?

It's hard to see prominent stress stripes on males because of their colourations, but you should be able to see the stripes around their face.

4. roXenValued MemberMember

Yes I got him 2 weeks ago. When I first brought him home, his color was completely pale but has since perked up. He's also unlike my other red halfmoon betta. Very docile and shy and actually runs away from tetras that get too near.

5. lilabug4545Well Known MemberMember

Those just look like the lines of the scales!

6. roXenValued MemberMember

Here's another one I took just now right under the aquarium light to give better perspective.

20190423_092917.jpg

7. blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

it doesn't look like it but he is a awsome fish!:)

8. roXenValued MemberMember

That's a relief. Thank you!

9. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Yeah I don't see stress stripes on him. :)

10. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Stress stripes are very apparent and if the fish is indeed stressed you will also see pale coloration and clamped fins. Keep in mind that light bodied fish won’t show striping at all.

These are more like stress stripes but are actually just juvenile markings on this little betta.
    44F964B5-2CDB-4E51-A0B4-1A202C6D2EBA.jpeg

Your betta looks perfectly fine.

11. roXenValued MemberMember

Thank you! This is very helpful information.