Are These Barbs? Question

1. Nicola1980 Member Member

Hi all, I've been trying to sex what I thought were tiger barbs but when I try to google it I get completely different looking fish. Could anyone clarify what these are please. Thankyou 4a9a8537e8797b0318f1bfdc5ce67373.jpg

2. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Those are black skirt tetras...tiger barbs look nothing like them;)

3. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Black skirt tetras.

4. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

You have a skirt tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi).

5. Nicola1980 Member Member

Thanks guys. They were sold in the pet store as tiger barbs, knew they weren't after doing research but I just hadn't been able to find what they are

6. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Keep in mind they are schooling fish so need 6+ of the own species and they also prefer cooler water.

7. Nicola1980 Member Member

I have 6 of them . Thankyou. Just want to determine if they are male or female now

8. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

The females will look a little more round than males.

9. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

The ones in the pics are females to me.

10. Nicola1980 Member Member

ea3fd16cc79a807f0728c9239a39c2d5.jpg c0599dc58ec173e46ab28984ed02cf92.jpg 755eaa3ece48cc347a0318c22e945f6d.jpg
    Fab thankyou. Any idea if these are males/females?

11. Aceranch Member Member

Not a colorful tetra but definitely much friendlier than barbs. Build up a nice little group and watch them school up.

12. THE HABITAT Well Known Member Member

Also if u got them recently I would see what they charged you..I believe tigers and black skirts are a little different in price with the tigers being in the higher end...can I ask..are they live bearers?

13. Nicola1980 Member Member

They change colour depending on mood I guess from silver to black. I've had them 6 weeks and they get along lovely (6 of them). I'm not fussed on the price of them . I believe they are egg layers

14. THE HABITAT Well Known Member Member

I would still bring it to the lfs attention to knowledge them and maybe even get a credit if the difference is that much...

15. Nicola1980 Member Member

I'll keep it in mind if I ever purchase any more. At least I'll know what I'm buying now