Are These Baby Mystery Snails?

Sarahjjeli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So, I'm doing a water change on my tank, and moved a piece of driftwood and saw these two little guys. I removed them and assumed they were pest snails from new plants I recently got. Then I saw this! What do I do with this thing? I'd like a couple more snails, but not hundreds. Will this thing actually hatch? If they don't, when will I know so I can remove it?

dccdc1fc010318dd4be1888676c8a06f.jpg

8de0a8da58149895ebc69f2aaf752793.jpg

Ed204

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm not too sure what snails they are, but if they are indeed mystery snails, as long as the eggs get moisture nature will do the rest.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The first pic is of ramshorn snails. You likely have more since they breed rapidly.

The second is a mystery snail egg clutch. Do you have these types in your tank?

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ramshorn snails are considered pest snails depending on who you ask. Some people don't mind them while others do because they are prolific breeders and can eat your live plants. You may not be able to get rid of them completely but you can control the population by making a water bottle snail trap or leaving a piece of lettuce or other veggie overnight. You could get assassin snails as well but since you have mystery snails, I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom