Are These A Pest? Good Or Bad?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by CanadianBacons, Aug 6, 2017.

1. C

CanadianBacons New Member Member

I found these last night in my 20 gal aquarium. It currently has a like 7 adult guppies and a bunch of mid-size to newborn guppies. Everything has been going well. I also have 3 ghost shrimp. I kinda let them do whatever in the tank and it pretty much cleans itself too. With some good filtration and lots of plants i don't do water changes too often. (I have tried having guppies like 3 times before and every time i did a monthly 25% water change they would always die after like 3 months. This time I started with a 5.5 gal then i upgraded like 2 1/2 months ago and it has been going great with me barely doing water changes maybe a 10-15% per month and usually filling it up when water evaporates) So here are some pictures of what i found last night. If they could be identified it would be great and i want to know if i should be worrying. All the plants I have were bought from a local pet smart and I've had them for the 2 /12 months and due to the size of the snails i don't think they came with them. I had a snail but I found it dead 2 nights ago. It was a mystery snail but their shells don't look like mystery snails. Plz help.

iUnPGQC.jpg
    sP2UcLO.jpg
    79Ar90I.png
    hkPvnFq.png

Thank you!!

2. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

It's a pest snail. Harmless, probably came with your live plants. They'll reproduce a lot though. If you want to get rid of them, try an assassin snail. It would probably eat them.

3. OP
    OP
    C

Yea but its been 2 1/2 months since I got those. Maybe even more i forget. It could be 3. Aren't those snails a little small if they came with the plants?

4. MattS99

Nope, they stay pretty small.

5. OP
    OP
    C

I don't mind some snails if they just clean my aquarium but is there any other way I could also slow down their breeding?

6. MattS99

Nope. I don't think they clean the aquarium though.

7. OP
    OP
    C

So they just sit there eat my plants and don't eat algae/fish waste?

8. MattS99

They don't eat plants. I think they eat old food on the bottom of the tank (I'm forgetting the technical term lol).

9. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

They are Malaysian Trumpet Snails (mts).
    They are considered pest snails because they reproduce asexually, but I introduced them on purpose to one of my tanks. They do an excellent job cleaning the gravel, and rarely (actually never) do they climb the glass or plants (so no they do not eat your plants). So far, they haven't caused me any problems, other than I accidently sucked one up during a gravel vac. They will multiply quickly though so if you don't want them get rid of them asap.

10. OP
    OP
    C

So if these were to ever get out of control i could just remove them manually when I find them. Or introduce an assassin snail and they would start to decrease in numbers?

11. fjh

Yes. With either of these methods, I doubt you would find them all though. Especially since they dig in the gravel/sand

12. OP
    OP
    C

How deep in do they dig? I have about 4 inches of gravel.

13. fjh

Wow hmm well I don't know if they go down that far. I have about 1/2 to 1" of substrate... obviously it's hard to look if they are on the bittom, but I see them go to about a forth from the bottom. With gravel though, it's good if they go down as far as possible because fish waste etc falls through the gravel cracks to the bottom. This doesn't happen as much with sand, but they dig in there too.

14. OP
    OP
    C

Yes I also happen to have some small stones so I don't mind then eating the food that falls in there

15. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

I need to mention that 1 10-15 percent water change a month unfortunately is not enough. R u testing parameters regularly? Water changes not only get rid of nitrates but they restore important minerals that have depleted over time. I recommend doing 1 25% water change per week.

16. OP
    OP
    C

Yes I test my water every week at my local PetSmart

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice