Are There Any Special Care I Need To Know For Altums?

s15guppy

Reaction score
I'm looking at adding altums into my discus tank (80 gallons), are there any special care tips I could use for them besides the obvious clean water? I know nothing about altums so all advice is welcomed, thanks in advanced

OP
s15guppy

s15guppy

Reaction score
ProtI'm Sarkar said:
Not sure about the altums but they are very rare.
Here is a link for the altums-https://
My LFS has a tank full of them, that's why I'm interested in getting some lol, I'll take a look at the link in a bit, thanks!

Just looked at the link and in 1 sentence it says "little are known about them" and in another sentence it says "do your research on them".... I'm confused

OP
s15guppy

s15guppy

Reaction score
They get a lot of uncommon fish there, that's where I get my wild discus from along with a lot of my other discus. Just because I said a tank full of altums don't mean they are all 100% good lol, they seem to be very aggressive and some have bitten off almost all of their fins on some fish.

CricketKeeper

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mine is very good, they have African Mudskippers at the moment. They get a lot of wild caught things ordered in, but they breed a lot of their most common fish. They keep the plant tank for axolotls. Had an 8" African Filter Shrimp once. Soooo many micro rasbora and tiny tetras for actual nano tanks.

Protim Sarkar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
s15guppy said:
They get a lot of uncommon fish there, that's where I get my wild discus from along with a lot of my other discus. Just because I said a tank full of altums don't mean they are all 100% good lol, they seem to be very aggressive and some have bitten off almost all of their fins on some fish.
I wish, that my LFS can bring the altums for me.

OP
s15guppy

s15guppy

Reaction score
ProtI'm Sarkar said:
I wish, that my LFS can bring the altums for me.
Are you in Southern California?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First, make sure that they are real Altums. Often scalare from Peru are mislabeled as altum, and while there is a superficial resemblance, they are quite distinct. If they are real Altums, the price should be very high, even for small ones. The real ones are also very tall for their length, and the facial profile is extremely steep compared to a standard Angel.

Second, true Altums are usually wild caught, as they are extremely difficult to breed. Wild Angels are going to be carrying diseases that they are immune to, but your Discus probably are not. This is why it is generally recommended to not mix Angels and Discus.

OP
s15guppy

s15guppy

Reaction score
chromedome52 said:
First, make sure that they are real Altums. Often scalare from Peru are mislabeled as altum, and while there is a superficial resemblance, they are quite distinct. If they are real Altums, the price should be very high, even for small ones. The real ones are also very tall for their length, and the facial profile is extremely steep compared to a standard Angel.

Second, true Altums are usually wild caught, as they are extremely difficult to breed. Wild Angels are going to be carrying diseases that they are immune to, but your Discus probably are not. This is why it is generally recommended to not mix Angels and Discus.
Hmm.... everything makes sense except the high price point, what if the fake altums are priced high to make a profit? Lol not everything nice is bought at a high price lol. Either way, I'll try and get a photo tomorrow when I stop by to see if I can get some feedback on if they're real or not. Thanks for the advice!

OP
s15guppy

s15guppy

Reaction score
ProtI'm Sarkar said:
No ! No! I am from India.. But some of my relatives lives in Chicago.
Lol no where near me then, if in Southern California, I could show you the shop

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
s15guppy said:
Take care with Altums. I remember that TakashI Amano set up a stunning tank with them in his living room but even he admitted it wasn't possible as they were constantly fighting and this was not what he had planned.

sharambil

Reaction score
You are making a good choice mixing Altums and Discus

Altums can be picky eaters, and I would not advise getting less than 6. If there are too few angels, aggression will be passed onto your discus. My LFS is always in stock with Altums, but I never buy because often times they are infested with internal parasites.

I also think that they may outgrow the 80g tank. My LFS has them in a 125 display, but they literally fill up the entire height of the tank with their beautiful fins

OP
s15guppy

s15guppy

Reaction score
sharambil said:
Altums can be picky eaters, and I would not advise getting less than 6. If there are too few angels, aggression will be passed onto your discus. My LFS is always in stock with Altums, but I never buy because often times they are infested with internal parasites.

I also think that they may outgrow the 80g tank. My LFS has them in a 125 display, but they literally fill up the entire height of the tank with their beautiful fins
Thanks for the advice! I really love the way they look but buying 6 at a time is a bit beyond my budget at the moment lol. I'll probably consider them at a later time then. As you mentioned, my LFS has about 15 in his tank and a lot of them have their fins bit off or tore apart, there's maybe about 4/15 of them that survived the battle I guess you can say and look well with no wounds

sharambil

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean bro, at my LFS, they cost 30 dollars a piece lol. When I set up my 75, I'm considering starting a tank just for them, if I can gather the funds... but only as a grow out.

OP
s15guppy

s15guppy

Reaction score
sharambil said:
I know exactly what you mean bro, at my LFS, they cost 30 dollars a piece lol. When I set up my 75, I'm considering starting a tank just for them, if I can gather the funds... but only as a grow out.
My LFS are asking $60 each!!! lol I'm not looking to spend that, if I did, I would prefer to get more discus but that's just my preference

sharambil

Reaction score
How much do discus cost for you? Aren't they in the same price range?

PSA: if anyone wants to learn information about angels, wild angels, angelfish genetics, differentiating species...

This is a Sample Issue, creds to Amazonas magazine. Read through the entire thing, it's really fascinating and will help you determine whether your fish are truly Altums. Heiko Bleher is featured I think.

Check out:

OP
s15guppy

s15guppy

Reaction score
sharambil said:
How much do discus cost for you? Aren't they in the same price range?

PSA: if anyone wants to learn information about angels, wild angels, angelfish genetics, differentiating species...

This is a Sample Issue, creds to Amazonas magazine. Read through the entire thing, it's really fascinating and will help you determine whether your fish are truly Altums. Heiko Bleher is featured I think.

Check out:
Yeah... discus are a bit more expensive but I already have them, if I were to buy 6 altums, that would be another $360 on fish which my wife will not approve lol

New Threads