Are there any small fish that look like angelfish?

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I wasn't sure where to put this, but here goes.

I have this 10 gallon and I cannot for my life decide what to put in it. My dad loves angelfish and asks me every time he sees the tank if I'm SURE we can't get angelfish, but it's a 10 gallon so,,, I can tell he's pretty hung up about it, but he doesn't want to get another, larger tank because he's concerned about maintenance and whatnot. So I was wondering, are there any smaller fish that look like angelfish that can be kept in 10 gallons?

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
Drawing a blank here...Blackbanded sunfishes look a little like angelfish and are smaller (about 3 inches), but are somewhat delicate and frequently fail to take dry food.

OP
Danny002

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What about threadfin rainbows? None of my usual sites have info on them and most of what I can find is conflicting... I have heard that a 10 gallon can be good for 6-8 of them, but I don't know if this is true as I don't know much about them. Anyone here know about/ keep them and can help me out?

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
Danny002 said:
What about threadfin rainbows? None of my usual sites have info on them and most of what I can find is conflicting... I have heard that a 10 gallon can be good for 6-8 of them, but I don't know if this is true as I don't know much about them. Anyone here know about/ keep them and can help me out?
I'd want something a little bigger for a school of threadfins...any way you could upgrade to a 24 inch long tank? Threadfins are somewhat delicate and I wouldn't try to cram them into something slightly too small.

OP
Danny002

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Joshaeus said:
I'd want something a little bigger for a school of threadfins...any way you could upgrade to a 24 inch long tank? Threadfins are somewhat delicate and I wouldn't try to cram them into something slightly too small.
I can't upgrade right now, but it isn't a huge deal if I can't get the threadfins, just throwing that idea out there.

Leeman75

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Black Skirt Tetras? Not an exact match, but their fins almost kind of make them look like they have a triangular shape. If you squint. :)
Skirt Tetras.jpg" data-xf-init="lightbox" data-lb-single-image="1" data-lb-container-zoom="1" data-lb-trigger=".js-lbImage-attachment680258" data-lb-id="attachment680258">
Black Skirt Tetras.jpg

OP
Danny002

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Can black skirts be kept in a 10 though? I thought they needed more space than that?

Leeman75

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Funny, I hadn't thought that they would get too big, but just looked them up and they get up to 2". Mine are about an inch to 1.25". I have 5 of them in a 55, so I hadn't had to worry about how big they would get. 2" top size is definitely better than the 6" top size of Angels though.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was going to suggest skirt tetras as well but I think they would do better in a larger tank. No personal experience with them. Just going by what i've read about them. Put a nice school of Ember tetras or ChilI or lambchop rasboras and a nerite or 2 in your 10. I know they don't look like angels but they will be fun to watch in say a school of 6-8 maybe even 10 of them.

Leeman75

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ChilI Rasbora's are pretty cool looking. I've never kept them, but I don't think you can lose with any Rasbora. Ember Tetras (or really any smaller tetra) would be good too and have a pop of color.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Leeman75 said:
ChilI Rasbora's are pretty cool looking. I've never kept them, but I don't think you can lose with any Rasbora. Ember Tetras (or really any smaller tetra) would be good too and have a pop of color.
I have 3 embers ( I know I should have more ) with a betta and an otto cat in a 5.5 and they are pretty much first to the dinner table when I drop food into the return side of my filter.

Leeman75

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Three must be the number for Embers as my daughter also has 3 in her tank. She started with more, but lost a couple I believe. She's got them with guppies (including 1 new fry today!) and pygmI corys. All those are in a 10 as well.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Leeman75 said:
Three must be the number for Embers as my daughter also has 3 in her tank. She started with more, but lost a couple I believe. She's got them with guppies (including 1 new fry today!) and pygmI corys. All those are in a 10 as well.
Not to sidetrack the OPs thread but I also started with 5 and lost 2 so I just stuck with the strong survivors. Sounds like a fun 10 gallon your daughter has. I never see pygmy corys so haven't been able to get any yet.

Leeman75

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Danny002 sorry...we did kind of hijack your thread. Apparently 3 Ember Tetras would look good for you! :)

OP
Danny002

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you guys for your suggestions! I'll check out what my LFS has next time we go. I'll probably let my dad get the final say stock-wise, working from home has been really stressful for him so I want to give him something relaxing that he can check out on his breaks :) So far my options include: CPDs, ember tetras, guppies/ endlers, lambchop or chilI rasboras, or a betta and I'll put some nerites in there to take care of any stray algae.

OP
Danny002

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Leeman75 said:
Danny002 sorry...we did kind of hijack your thread. Apparently 3 Ember Tetras would look good for you! :)
That's alright, I don't mind lol. I'll get a couple extra if I go for the ember tetras!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Danny002 said:
Thank you guys for your suggestions! I'll check out what my LFS has next time we go. I'll probably let my dad get the final say stock-wise, working from home has been really stressful for him so I want to give him something relaxing that he can check out on his breaks :) So far my options include: CPDs, ember tetras, guppies/ endlers, lambchop or chilI rasboras, or a betta and I'll put some nerites in there to take care of any stray algae.
Ahhh I always forget to mention CPD's those are some great looking little nano fish. Keep us updated as to what you get and as always pics are very much encouraged!!

OP
Danny002

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FinalFins said:
How about longer finned guppies? they are flowy like angels.
I'll check those out! If I get guppies they won't be super flashy, as I find those can look a little fake, but I do like the ones with just one or two colors!

New Threads