Are there ANY products out there to remove ammonia?

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners, Additives and Supplements' started by cajunfiberco, Apr 3, 2010.

1. cajunfiberco

cajunfiberco Well Known Member Member

And not just detox it?

The thing is, my tap has ammonia in it, a reading of about .5 ppm - 1.ppm. Getting RO water is becoming a pain, as the ONLY local refill station is now broken, and I can't keep buying $10 of water every week. I can, but it's a pain in the rear! :;fru

Are there ANY products out there besides having my own RO thing on my faucet that can remove the ammonia from my tap? I don't want to add this stuff to my tanks and overload the bacteria.

Please tell me there is.. I'd love to just use my tap water again!!

2. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

After doing some searching (I had searched the forum before, don't shoot me! lol) on the ammonia detox products (I have AmQuel+) will my bacteria in my tank be able to eat the detoxed ammonia in 24 hours if I use the tap water? So far the only options I am seeing is having a huge tub of water with a filter and ammo chips running to use for water changes, buying a RO unit, continue buying water, or using a detox product. But I'm really hesitant on adding the detox and then my bacteria not being able to handle it...

3. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I am not sure on the product to remove the ammonia. However as I finished cycling my tank I was dosing it to 1-2ppm and withing 12 hours it was down to zero. So I am thinking that if your tank is cycled and you do a 25% water change with your tap water then you shouldn't have much ammonia in your tank and what little you do add should be processed fairly quickly. I know that any amount of ammonia is bad for fish but in my opinion unless your were doing huge water changes daily your tank should process that amount of ammonia pretty quickly.
    I am sure one of the pros will come along and let me know why my reasoning is wrong, that is just the first thing that popped into my head.

4. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Your tap water has ammonia in it? You should call your local water district about it. Ammonia can be potentially dangerous even to us!

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

As long as you have sufficient biological filtration, it shouldn't be an issue. If it can't, then adding ammo chips to your filter ought to bridge the gap.

6. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

This is my research on Prime which is an ammonia detoxing agent like AmQuel+
    Chemical reactions in the water dont stay the same way for long, Natural ammonia is NH3 While ammonium is NH4 (H+ + :NH3 → NH+4) The degree to which ammonia forms the ammonium ion depends on the pH of the solution. If the pH is low (there is a high concentration of hydronium ions), the equilibrium shifts to the right: more ammonia molecules are protonated into ammonium ions. If the pH is high (the concentration of hydronium ions is low), the equilibrium shifts to the left: the hydroxide ion abstracts a proton from the ammonium ion, generating ammonia. So Prime basicly has a high level of Brønsted bases Which add more hydronium ions into the water a Brønsted base is anything that donates protons to change the ammonia into ammonium by makeing the hydronium which causes the reaction but hydronium ions are not stable and once those break the ammonium is converted back to ammonia. Which judging from the Prime corp that time is roughly 24 hours.
    I would like to explain why I posted this however. The chemical reactions that change ammonia into ammonium dont last due to the fact they lose the energy to keep them ammonia bonded correctly. Which is why there are not really any products that permently remove ammonia out of the water. Thats what the Bacteria are for. You have to do daily water changes and Amquel or Prime treatments to stop the ammonia from killing. But if there is ammonia in your tap water it means that your water treatment plant is using a base solution to keep their water clean. But more then likely they could just be flushing out their systems. If you call they will usually tell you if they are flushing their systems or using some different chemicals to treat water. And if you ask they might call to give you an update before they do something to their systems again. Best of Luck.

*Edit-Oh, IMO ammo chips are bad because they could use up all the ammonia which could kill off the bacteria, and send a tank into a mini cycle. But thats just me.*

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  7. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

I just did some reading up on chloarmine, and guess what it is? Chlorine and ammonia mixed together. This is why many people seem to have ammonia in their tap. I am still having an ammonia problem in my 15 gallon, and once that is cycled completely I hope to use tap with 25% water change. In the meantime I will have to use RO I suppose on that tank. The good thing is that it seems I can cut back on buying so much RO water.

Ok. In conclusion (ha sounds so professional)plan A: I can use my tap water but add the amquel+ and the bio load will take care of it in a cycled tank. Plan B: In an uncycled tank, I can still use tap with amquel+ and do daily water changes of say, 50%? And continue this until the tank is cycled and proceed with plan A?

Does all of this sound correct to you?

8. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Sounds good to me lol

9. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

Ok, I'm just nervous to actually carry it out! I'll have to watch the parems like a hawk!!

10. Jaysee

One of the reasons they use chloramine over chlorine is because chlorine evaporates. That's also why you aren't supposed to test your water right after a waterchange.

Sounds good.

11. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

Chris (right? !! I hope so, if not I apologize!!) I know the ammo chips would be bad in an aquarium with fish - what I meant was having a seperate fishless tub of just tap water with a filter running on it with ammo chips

Yes Jaysee that is one of the things I read about it :)

I'm glad it seems like a plan, but still nervous!!! lol

12. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

cajun, try to test your tap water after it sits for 24 hours. I am insterested to see what the results are.

13. Jaysee

In a case such as yours, using ammo chips is not a bad thing IMO. It's not the first thing I'd do to correct the situation, but it would be the second. First thing I'd do is beef up the filtration with more biomedia. Filters with adjustable flow rates are great, because you can get a much larger filter with the benefit of all the extra media, while not blowing your fish all over the tank.

Ammo chips are bad when they're used in the beginning, or as a replacement for bacteria. I suggested using them to assist the esdtablished colonies. I would only use a small amount, though - only enough to bridge the gap, otherwise you risk harming the colony.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  14. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

I will do that, as I never thought to try it! I'll be super excited if the ammonia evaps but I'm not expecting it as chloramine doesn't evaporate. But I will try

Jaysee, what do you recomend with the ammo chips? Just a little when I do water changes, and then take it out after a day or so? Or would using the amquel+ be better. I wouldn't want to crash my systems...

:animal0068:I've merged your threads since they were back to back with no response between.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2010
  15. Jaysee

What is your water change procedure?

16. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. Some good advice above.

Along with adding more bio media to your filters, if possible, ornaments that are porous such as lava rock and terracotta pots will house good bacteria too. Something you may want to consider adding if you haven't already.

Ken

17. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

One more thing to mention, when switching from RO water to tap water be sure to account for variations in pH. If your tank is very different from your tap you will have to take that into account and do smaller water changes until your tank is fully converted to tap water.

18. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

My water change procedure on uncycled and unfiltered tanks, is every day on the tanks, doing a 40-50% water change. I add Amquel+, NovAqua (for slime coat), vitachem, electolyte right and pH adjuster OR Kent's R/O additive and pH adjuster. pH is actually at the same as my tap with the adjuster.

For cycled tanks, once a week I take out 25% and add the water with the above additives.

On tanks I am doing wc daily I don't vaccum the gravel daily, maybe twice a month, and every few days just siphon off the stuff sitting on top of the gravel w/o actually disturbing the gravel. Except in my unfiltered tank, I siphon everything (there is no gravel) taking out 95% of the water and replacing it.

19. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

This is a great idea, thank you! Can I use polyester craft filling in my filter? Or should I stick with aquaria media?

20. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't use the pH adjuster. It's not steady, and can create more problems than it solves.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice