Are There Any Other New Swordtail Colors/types?

Discussion in 'Swordtails' started by allllien, Apr 19, 2017.

1. allllien

allllienWell Known MemberMember

I know koi swordtails are a newer type, and recently I bought a swordtail that's yellowish with an orange tail and orange stripe down it's back, I didn't know what color to call it but have just discovered people are calling them "solar flare" on aquabid etc, I'm wondering if there are any other new types people have come across?

2. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

I saw some a few weeks ago that were black and green...not sure if that is a newer type or not, but it was something I hadn't seen before.

3. OP
    OP
    allllien

Yeah they're the normal black type, not around as much as they used to be, they have iridescent green throughout the black, there's also 'marble', which are white with the black and green -those are pretty cool too, I used to have some :)
    I wish there were jet black / black velvet types, or maybe there are and I haven't seen them yet? I was also wondering if albino yellow exist? Or what other albino colors besides red and white, if any?

4. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

There are some black strains. And I see some of the more naturally appearing variants are somewhat popular. I'm sure they're not wild though. Quality has surely taken a turn for the worse. The LFS stock almost always just looks like feeder quality compared to what you could buy 20 years ago. That applies to most live-bearers unfortunately.

5. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Actually, most of the early Koi were also albino. I can't say that I've ever seen an albino Gold, though it should be possible. I have seen Lemon Swords, which are basically albino Pineapple swords. I have also seen albino Tuxedo swords, which are called Coral. The strain was revived recently under a different name that escapes me at the moment. They invariably develop deep melanoma, despite being albinos, probably because of the Tux gene.

A solid black velvet sword is a breeder's dream; unfortunately, the genetic combination that produces it is invariably fatal before they can mature. If anyone ever managed to eliminate the cancer development, they would be very popular.

This "Solar Flare" sounds like a combination of Marigold with a red saddle. I'll have to see if I can find a picture online. Red saddle was originally considered an undesirable trait, until someone bred it into Gold Swords and called them Pineapple. It is often masked underneath solid red color, and it varies in size depending on several pairs of modifier genes.

6. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

I had a couple that were completely black last year, they didn't live long :(

7. OP
    OP
    allllien

Ok thanks, I think awhile back I saw bright yellow albino koi swordtails in a google search, although the photos seem to have since disappeared? (or maybe I dreamed it lol). I don't think I've ever seen the albino coral ones though. You also reminded me I once had what I thought was an albino pineapple, she was white with orange and yellow along her back, and was the 'odd one out' in a bunch of regular pineapples, but she had normal eyes not red.
    It's unfortunate about the melanomas with black coloration though, I always thought it mostly affected platys, I did once have a really nice snow white swordtail with the black tuxedo marking (normally that type are more of a creamy white, but she was the really bright snow white, and then got a little bit of bright orange coloration later as well, she never developed a melanoma, and didn't have the iridescent green scales either. I actually just found some photos of her, she was a really cool fish but I've never seen one since: white.jpgyellow6.jpg

Yeah it's a bummer hey. I've got a platy atm with a lot of black, I think she'll suffer the same fate unfortunately too, pretty sure there's a melanoma on her head :( I once had bumblebee platy's and the same thing, they lived a while but just looked lumpy and ugly lol.

Here's a photo of the 'solar flare' type for any one interested, photo from google as mine wont stay still and pose for a photo lol (I only have one):

. solarflare.jpg

Yeah our LFS stock are very, very average lately, the koi's they have are all the non-albino with silver, not white type, and they're probably the most 'unusual' type they get lol. It's very rare to find a true albino koi or anything interesting, which is why I was surprised to find something I hadn't seen before (the solar flare one I bought) :) I can order albino koi swordtails online, but they're more orange than red, and the ones I bought recently arrived with finrot :(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. chromedome52

Are you sure the Solar Flare isn't an albino? Because those look like the Platin Orange that Glaser was selling a few years ago (that's the name I was trying to remember; it is an orange color rather than the dark red of the Coral). The thing to remember is that often they will take a difficult strain to produce, so that it's not common enough for people to remember, and put a different name on it so they can raise the price and call it "new".

However, if it is not an albino, I'd like to figure out how they got the body with that distribution of white color. Very interesting, I think I got away from Swordtail experimentation too soon!

9. OP
    OP
    allllien

I'm pretty sure they're not albino, they look like they have black eyes in the photo, and mine definitely has black eyes. They may be something that's been around for a while, just with a different name, but I havn't seen them before. The body isn't white, it's a pale gold body with red or dark orange tail, fins and stripe all the way along their back (mine has more of a yellowish body than these pictured, I'll try and get a photo of her later today :)). No idea what she'll throw, but it should be interesting to find out lol, I assume she's not from a pure strain or anything, just something that popped up randomly.

I just got some photos and realized mine is actually quite different to the 'solar flare' color above -she has exactly the same color pattern, but not the iridescent 'rose gold' body color with red, she has a yellow body color with bright orange. My guess would be something like 'solar flare' crossed with 'marigold', although I'd say she's her own color mutation probably from marigold (as I don't think we have the 'solar flare' color in Australia yet). Any suggestions are welcome :) Sorry they're not the best pics I know. solar1.jpgsolar2.jpgsolar3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  10. chromedome52

That's a Marigold with a Red Saddle marking, IMO. Still an interesting color combination, I kinda like it.

11. OP
    OP
    allllien

I was actually googling marigold and sunburst trying to work out what color she was, but marigold don't have the full body stripe (just darker fins/tail), and neither do the saddle type (saddles start around the dorsal fin, not the full body stripe like you also see with those 'solar flare' ones). I guess if the stripe marking in the solar flare type has a name, she carries the same marking but not the color. I just don't know what to call it lol, 'back stripe' haha ;) She is closest to marigold color though I think.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice