are there any other fish that can stay outside besides goldfish and kio

1. Gage Member Member

i have a 40 gallon garden pond and i want to know if there are other types of fish that can go in it besides goldfish and koi because they need more space than what is given.

please help me here no other site answered me yet

2. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I have a common pleco in mine, along with minnows, giant danios, and large tetras. just make sure the fish are large(the minnows came on there own) and are suitable for the temp outside. as for the pleco you could probably go with one of the smaller species such as BN or rubber lip.

3. shrimp Member Member

I've been keeping guppies in my 50 gallon pond for the past three years without a problem. The guppies in the pond always end up larger, stronger and more colorful then the indoor ones.

4. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

You could also keep mollies too:)

5. gremlin Well Known Member Member

American Flag Fish are quite colorful (especially in the sun) and can do well outside. Google native fish for you area, and see if any of them are available. There are several varieties of native minnows that would probably do well. You could also have Mosquito Fish. The main issue would be how cold does the pond get in the winter, and would you be bringing the fish in or trying to heat the pond if it got too cold.