Are There Any Good Books On Fish And Where Are They?

IchthyPen
I love to read and write but fish are my top love of all things and I'd love to get to know more about them. I go to the library but I rarely see any books on fish at all and the ones I do typically find are not what I am exactly looking for. I'd like to find books about the sciences and studies of fish to fill my scientific curiosity of them and I would especially love stories involving fish or revolving around fish(es). I have gotten lucky and found a book called,"The Dragon Behind The Glass" by Emily Voigt in my library along with a few other informational or joyful to read stories but they are often too hard to find. I also have issues finding articles on fish online as well.

I have to ask where can a fish-loving bookworm like me find good books and or articles on fish or fish stories? What books would you suggest and what books should I keep away from? What sites are great to use for looking at articles about fish, marine organisms, their worlds under the water and the knowledge collected on them?

I greatly appreciate any answers and I wish you a good day.

goldface
Four Fish: The Future of The Last Wild Food by Paul Greenberg.

On The Run: An Angler’s Journey Down The Striper Coast by David Dibenedetto.

Not aquarium books, but still fascinating reads if you like fish beyond the aquarium hobby.

Unfortunately, I don’t know of any aquarium books I would suggest. The ones I’ve come across seem redundant (and boring). I do recommend you check out a magazine called Amazonas. A lot of good, valid information there. If I offer advice or info that typically deviates from the norm here on Fishlore, then it’s because of this magazine.

IchthyPen
Four Fish: The Future of The Last Wild Food by Paul Greenberg.

On The Run: An Angler’s Journey Down The Striper Coast by David Dibenedetto.

Not aquarium books, but still fascinating reads if you like fish beyond the aquarium hobby.

Unfortunately, I don’t know of any aquarium books I would suggest. The ones I’ve come across seem redundant (and boring). I do recommend you check out a magazine called Amazonas. A lot of good, valid information there. If I offer advice or info that typically deviates from the norm here on Fishlore, then it’s because of this magazine.

Thank you. I will be sure to look for them and I will definitely check them out. I do like fish beyond the hobby of keeping them. They absolutely fascinate me and I love to learn about them.

chromedome52
There are books on Cichlids, Livebearers, Catfish, and general hobby. Several are full of scientific information. Some of the best general books are the Baensch Atlas series. They are a little bit out of date for names, but the breeding and care information is still good. They have higher classifications listed, some of those are also a bit out of date. However, it gives you a starting point to go and look for more.

There are book sellers who specialize in Aquarium Literature. My good friend Mike Schadle sets up a vendor store at various fish events around the midwest. I'm sure he'll be in Grand Rapids for the ALA convention. He does not have an online store, but he can help find whatever you are looking for. I think his book business email is .

FlipFlopFishFlake
What are some good books you would recommend for fishkeepers? I just got a bit of extra money from my after school job and thought I might as well have a nice read over the summer.

RainBetta
Are you looking for informational books or fictional books that have to do with fish?

Fanatic
Nothing against readers, (I cannot stand reading) it’s really a good thing to read books, but I only use the internet really, no books for me.

FlipFlopFishFlake
Are you looking for informational books or fictional books that have to do with fish?
More of informational books.
Nothing against readers, (I cannot stand reading) it’s really a good thing to read books, but I only use the internet really, no books for me.
I feel ya, I am not a big reader myself. I recently realized that I enjoy reading informational books (like "The art of keeping snakes" by Philippe de Vosjoli) but, I still will watch videos or look at pictures when given the choice lol.

RainBetta
Hmm... is there a "Fishkeeping for Dummies" book? There must be!

75g Discus Tank
Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad.

Really good if you want to keep good planted tanks or learn the Walstad method.

coralbandit
Handbook of Fish Disease by Dieter Untergasser

One of if not the best book for keepers .

emmysjj
I agree with Freshwater aquariums for dummies. There’s a saltwater one too, I have both.

chromedome52
There was a better book than the "Dummies" version, it was "Idiot's Guide to Freshwater Aquariums". Well written, funny in spots, but educational. Unfortunately, the Dummies bought out the Idiots and discontinued that book because it was competition for the less accurate and poorly written Dummies version. It still exists in used book stores, but it is very hard to come by. Most people who bought it kept it.

Kalyke
These are a few books that Aquarium beginners might find fascinating

Philip Henry Gosse was the first person to actually use the word “aquarium”, opting for this term (instead of “aquatic vivarium” or “aqua-vivarium”) in 1854 in his book The Aquarium: An Unveiling of the Wonders of the Deep Sea.

This book is now free on Google Play Books

One book I have wanted to read is Diana Walstad's Ecology of the planted tank. I was very happy to find it on Amazon for Kindle at a huge discount. Affordable for me, anyway. I know what I am going to be reading next week!

If I shouldn't post things like this, please delete

RainBetta
I've heard lots of good things about Diana's book. Let me know how it is!

SomeoneFISHy
Hello everyone. This is a last minute post sorta thing. I am going to the library in an few hours. What fish books do you all recommend?

Crimson_687
Rainbow fish. Of all the kids books it’s one of the few I remember

SomeoneFISHy
Lol, I mean fishkeeping books

WTFish?
I’ve had this recommended to me (I still haven’t bought it) Not sure if it’s available at the library but I do think fish disease is something to read up on.
Handbook of Fish Diseases

Guppygirl88
Hello everyone. This is a last minute post sorta thing. I am going to the library in an few hours. What fish books do you all recommend?
anything by Axelrod (I can't remember his first name ) but if you mention tropical fish and Axelrod they will know who you are talking about

aquasquale
Thanks for sharing! Has been looking for a great book for quite some time!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views
OldFort Exotics
Replies
Views