Are There Any Good Books On Fish And Where Are They?

IchthyPen

Reaction score
I love to read and write but fish are my top love of all things and I'd love to get to know more about them. I go to the library but I rarely see any books on fish at all and the ones I do typically find are not what I am exactly looking for. I'd like to find books about the sciences and studies of fish to fill my scientific curiosity of them and I would especially love stories involving fish or revolving around fish(es). I have gotten lucky and found a book called,"The Dragon Behind The Glass" by Emily Voigt in my library along with a few other informational or joyful to read stories but they are often too hard to find. I also have issues finding articles on fish online as well.

I have to ask where can a fish-loving bookworm like me find good books and or articles on fish or fish stories? What books would you suggest and what books should I keep away from? What sites are great to use for looking at articles about fish, marine organisms, their worlds under the water and the knowledge collected on them?

I greatly appreciate any answers and I wish you a good day.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Four Fish: The Future of The Last Wild Food by Paul Greenberg.

On The Run: An Angler’s Journey Down The Striper Coast by David Dibenedetto.

Not aquarium books, but still fascinating reads if you like fish beyond the aquarium hobby.

Unfortunately, I don’t know of any aquarium books I would suggest. The ones I’ve come across seem redundant (and boring). I do recommend you check out a magazine called Amazonas. A lot of good, valid information there. If I offer advice or info that typically deviates from the norm here on Fishlore, then it’s because of this magazine.

IchthyPen

Reaction score
scarface said:
Four Fish: The Future of The Last Wild Food by Paul Greenberg.

On The Run: An Angler’s Journey Down The Striper Coast by David Dibenedetto.

Not aquarium books, but still fascinating reads if you like fish beyond the aquarium hobby.

Unfortunately, I don’t know of any aquarium books I would suggest. The ones I’ve come across seem redundant (and boring). I do recommend you check out a magazine called Amazonas. A lot of good, valid information there. If I offer advice or info that typically deviates from the norm here on Fishlore, then it’s because of this magazine.
Thank you. I will be sure to look for them and I will definitely check them out. I do like fish beyond the hobby of keeping them. They absolutely fascinate me and I love to learn about them.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are books on Cichlids, Livebearers, Catfish, and general hobby. Several are full of scientific information. Some of the best general books are the Baensch Atlas series. They are a little bit out of date for names, but the breeding and care information is still good. They have higher classifications listed, some of those are also a bit out of date. However, it gives you a starting point to go and look for more.

There are book sellers who specialize in Aquarium Literature. My good friend Mike Schadle sets up a vendor store at various fish events around the midwest. I'm sure he'll be in Grand Rapids for the ALA convention. He does not have an online store, but he can help find whatever you are looking for. I think his book business email is fishlit@comcast.net.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom