Are There Any Giant, Or Unusually Shaped, Sponge Pre-filters?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Homeslice, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Homeslice

HomesliceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +116
    I have a an ATI Filter Max Pre-Filter (number 3, I think its the pro version), and I like it well enough - it is a sponge around a plastic piece with tubes that you hook to it and it slides over your intake with a nice, clean fit.

But the sponge is pretty darned small in my mind. You can position the pre-filter so that it is the middle of the tank (as opposed to against the back wall) so that you can have a ton of space around the pre-filter to install a much, much bigger sponge. But I can't find any off hand.

In the alternative, you could have an big, unusually shaped sponge, flat on one side and rounded on the other, and the flat side goes parallel to the back wall with the rounded part facing the rest of the tank. See my Picasso drawing below (when the pictures on here finally start working).

Do these things exist? If not, how hard is making a sponge from scratch haha?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Fshloover

FshlooverValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +43
    I make almost all my pre filter sponges. It’s really simple all I do is cut a hole in a piece of foam and shape it with scissors. I was able to get the foam I used for mine from a old filter I had but you can probably just buy some online.