Are There Any Frozen Veggies Good For Plecos? Question

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Kittenluna, May 23, 2019.

1. Kittenluna Valued Member Member

I was wondering because i currently give fresh cucumber and zucchini and have been for months. But my schedule has been getting really busy and often times cant get around to a grocery store for a few days. So i was wondering if there was anything frozen i could have on hand.
    Mainly for my plecos and mystery snails. But my mollies and gourami also eat the veggies.
    I typically use a whole zucchini every other day. I have 200+ mystery snails so they eat a ton!!!
    Buying a few zucchini doesnt work cause they go bad

2. Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Frozen green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, squash, peas, etc. Most veggies are readily accepted by plecos and snails. Just remember to give a bit of protein as well.

3. Kittenluna Valued Member Member

How do you feed frozen? Do you allow it to thaw? Does it sink or need to be weighed down?

4. Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Put it in a cup and micro wave it then let it cool, it helps it sink must faster.

5. richie.p Well Known Member Member

Theres no reason why you can't blanch zucchini then freeze and drop it in as frozen cubes make sure to deseed it first or it won't sink, and they don't eat the seeds and it just fouls your water

6. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

I buy a bag of frozen zucchini and when i wanna feed my plecos and other fish i just take a few pieces out and run it under scolding hot water for a minute or so till it sinks in the cup and drop the slices right in.

7. Geoff Well Known Member Member

I buy bags of frozen zucchini and yellow squash slices. I put them in a veggie clip and toss them right in the tank still frozen. They thaw pretty quickly in the tank water. I have a string tied to the veggie clip, so when the shrimp and snails finish the zucchini/squash, I just pull the clip out by the string.