Are There Any Fish Safe To Keep With Molly/platy Fry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

endiglowgurl

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 10 gallon tank with about 6 molly fry and 3 platy fry that I'm trying to grow to in my 29 gal. I'm wondering though, if there are any fish I can put in with them that wont eat them? Perhaps something like rasboras? Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know if you count shrimps as fish, but you could add shrimps and of course snails. You could probably add rasboras as they're quite small. I don't think the fry will fit in their mouths, however I don't think 10 gallons is enough as you'd need to add a small school. I know it's only fry you have in the tank, but those fish poop a lot.
I'm not sure, though, so hopefully someone else will comment.

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Welcome to Fishlore!
It's probably best not to put anything in with them in a 10 gallon, depending on the size of the fry your tank is likely pretty much fully stocked and when you have tiny fry you want to keep the bioload as low as possible to keep the water pristine.

OP
endiglowgurl

endiglowgurl

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't know if you count shrimps as fish, but you could add shrimps and of course snails. You could probably add rasboras as they're quite small. I don't think the fry will fit in their mouths, however I don't think 10 gallons is enough as you'd need to add a small school. I know it's only fry you have in the tank, but those fish poop a lot.
I'm not sure, though, so hopefully someone else will comment.
I forgot to mention, I already have 10 red cherry shrimp in there. And a bunch of ponds snails I can't get rid of for the life of me! Lol I have an assassin snail in there also, but so far hes not done much to cut down the population. I plan to get a few more assassins when I do another online order.

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!
It's probably best not to put anything in with them in a 10 gallon, depending on the size of the fry your tank is likely pretty much fully stocked and when you have tiny fry you want to keep the bioload as low as possible to keep the water pristine.
I agree with this, personally I wouldn't put anything as you want to do frequent water changes to keep it thoroughly clean to increase survivability and keep defects at a minimum growing out in a 10 gallon has a slight chance at stunting though there's not many fry. Overcrowding it would increase that chance.

I suppose if you really wanted to though your best chances would be with tiny microfish. If it can fit in a mouth it will get swallowed is a guide I tend to follow

OP
endiglowgurl

endiglowgurl

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ill just wait until they grow out and I can move them. They are about 5 weeks old now and getting close to being able to be moved.

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
People forget how quickly fish grow. If the water stays clean and you feed appropriately, in 3 months you have a severely overcrowded tank of adult livebearers.
It's a tiny 10, and 3 months is not long. A 10 is good for 3-4 small fish max. 3 months is mid-summer...

OP
endiglowgurl

endiglowgurl

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, they are already 5 weeks old and getting close to being able to go in with the other mollies in the 29 gallon. Some will be taken to my lfs when they are 3 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom