Are there any entertaining stories about unique pet fish that you would like to share?

Zeon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Good day,

It crossed my mind today, if anyone had any unusual fish stories about their fish.
It could be a weird story, a funny story, an entertaining story or something tragic.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Apparently my Pleco is Nemo. Missing a fin, looks to be a birth defect. I just noticed yesterday. :rolleyes: 654977-79b2e77014539148dd514c472aa6294c.jpg

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I believe I have a gay betta!
This fish has convinced me that homosexuality exists in fish (as it does in birds, reptiles, amphibians and mammals) .
I have a male betta named phantom, whom I've attempted to breed with now 8 different females. He just WILL NOT blow a nest for a female. He just circles the container, flaring and body slamming aggressively at them.
His home is in a divided 20 gallon long tank beside another male, whom has has had a successful spawn.
Phantom, will only blow a nest right up against the divider and do his sexy dance under it for the boy next door ,who is not impressed and behaves like a typical angry male.
Phantom has also blown a nest for his previous next door neighbour, also a breeding male.
Poor guy just can't find a match :hilarious:

OP
Zeon

Zeon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
StarGirl15 said:
Apparently my Pleco is Nemo. Missing a fin, looks to be a birth defect. I just noticed yesterday. :rolleyes:
What?!
What a weird birth defect?
Aww. It makes him unique!

Have I ever seen a yellow catfish before?

OP
Zeon

Zeon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Falena said:
I believe I have a gay betta!
This fish has convinced me that homosexuality exists in fish (as it does in birds, reptiles, amphibians and mammals) .
I have a male betta named phantom, whom I've attempted to breed with now 8 different females. He just WILL NOT blow a nest for a female. He just circles the container, flaring and body slamming aggressively at them.
His home is in a divided 20 gallon long tank beside another male, whom has has had a successful spawn.
Phantom, will only blow a nest right up against the divider and do his sexy dance under it for the boy next door ,who is not impressed and behaves like a typical angry male.
Phantom has also blown a nest for his previous next door neighbour, also a breeding male.
Poor guy just can't find a match :hilarious:
Hmmm.
that is weird.
I have never bred betta.
Are you sure that Phantom is not just threatening the other males?

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Zeon said:
Hmmm.
that is weird.
I have never bred betta.
Are you sure that Phantom is not just threatening the other males?
Absolutely not. The other males, however do threaten him lol.
I have experience breeding bettas. And there is a particular ritual that they perform when ready to coax and encourage a mate towards their nest for breeding. They will go underneath the nest, facing almost completely vertical towards it and dance. It's like a little wiggly mating dance.
He does try and play tag or 'flirt' with boys before darting up to his nest and doing this too lol.
I have no confidence ever releasing a female with him and have since moved all bettas from the other half of the tank, so as not to stress him.

KenedeeRenee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have two stories to share. First is my smaller pleco in my glofish tank has a bent tail. Like significantly bent. It makes for really awkward swimming habits, pretty cute to watch. I didn't notice his tail was bent went I first got him, but now as he gets bigger, his tail gets more and more of an angle in it. And he wiggles his butt harder and harder. Hah.
Second, Around 8 months ago or so, my boyfriend's uncle who has a long established pond in his backyard, he converted the in ground hot tub next to the pool into a pond because the hot tub was expensive to run, well he started to realize how over stocked his pond was with fish. It started with everyone in the family and close friends would bring their kid's carnival prize goldfish over to his house and release them into his pond when their kids lost interest and the parents were tired of cleaning the fishbowl. Over the years they have multiplied and obviously expanded in size to pretty big fishies. And they aren't as expensive, but greatly resemble fancy koI fish. And oh yeah, there are a lot of them. So he invited me over to go "fishing" in order to lessen his stock and add a few to my pond. Now these fish proved to be much smarter and trickier than I would have imagined, but I managed to catch one the first day, then we tried again the next day, and caught two more. The first one is a big red guy. Like around a foot or so in length I believe, the other two were around 5-6 inches or so. Anyways I brought them home and acclimated them by slowly adding water from my pond into the bucket they were in and finally got it pretty close to the same temp and fish seemed to be accepting the change well so I poured the bucket into the pond and went inside for about 20 minutes or so, when I came back outside I stopped to check on the new fish and all seems well, then it occurs to me, "1..2.. umm, where's the other fish?" I do one last look in the pond and realize he's really not in there and then I realized the water level had gotten a little higher than what I would usually keep it when I poured the new fish along with the bucket of water it was pretty close to the edge. Then I start panickedly start looking around the outside of the pond for this rather large fish. Then I spot him, he made quite the journey! He had apparently been panic stricken as well while he hopped all the way out to the driveway in front of the house, which isn't terribly far, but a good distance for a creature without legs to travel. (25 feet or so) Once I saw him, I thought for sure he was dead, but I ran over to him and as I approached him I saw his gills flare open and then shut in a gasping type way. Poor little guy was completely dried up and had gravel stuck all over him. I picked him up in a frenzy with my bare hands and ran him back over to the pond and placed him back in the water and then watched him to see if he was going to go into shock or miraculously pull through. He was one impressive fish. He sank to the bottom, stayed there for about a minute enjoying the ability to breathe water in and out of his gills once more then still all dried looking swims off like nothing ever happened. So I reached in and helped him dust off the gravel and he lived.. only for around 3 months following his incident though. He suffered a lot of external damage from his travels. A massive sunburn in which he peeled, and peeled. A dried up tail fin which eventually just fell off and left him with a stump, and all following that eventually turned into an infection because he was not healing. I tried so hard to nurse him back to health, I quarantined him in a container outside the pond with regular water changes and melafix. But he couldn't pull through. This was of course a bummer, but a great learning experience and kind of humorous looking back on how it all played out. I definitely will always remember my brave little trooper and always make sure the water level in the pond is moderately below the top edge. Below is a picture of crooked tail pleco and below that is missing tail fishy when he was going into his quarantine tank.
20200330_022946.jpg
20190927_170023.jpg

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I through a Quinceañera for my ivory mystery snail when she turned 15 months. We decorated the whole house, had friends over, cooked food, played music and danced for her. She passed about a month later but I’m so glad we did that for her <3

I also took home a small albino cory once who was being bullied in the store. He had none of his fins but was acting normal. He grew them back and grew up with me! His fins weren’t perfect and he was missing a barbel, but he was proportionate enough to be functional with no discomfort. He passed about 4 months later due to other complications but I’m glad I gave him a second chance.

Here they are:

My Mystery Snail
DA0A644C-E736-403F-ADA4-DF0A1F2EBF96.jpeg

Lucky when I first took him home
758957FE-940E-4B90-8DB7-C933BB618377.jpeg

Lucky all grown up
BDF5D45E-F084-4DAA-8447-47069BA2CC6B.jpeg

Awaken_Riceball_

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I opened my canister filter for maintenance after 2 months and found two KuhlI loaches still alive inside of it. I was very impressed. I have a pre-filter now to avoid it from reoccurring.

If I wear a yellow shirt or jacket, then my Angelfish pair will hide in fear. So I literally cannot wear yellow inside the home. Only when I leave to go to work.

I was sold a blue/yellow Galaxy KoI Betta from a LFS. Well, it turned out to be Blue/Red/White, the US colors displaying proudly.

The saddest one of all. I had a Fluval Spec 5 Betta Desk Aquarium at my work. Fast forward, 2 months later. Someone stole it. :( I still miss that Platinum white crown tail betta. Forever gone.
20180330_174933.jpg

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
My featherfin catfish will now actually let me look at him & not always run away in fear. He's nearly a year old and grew out from 1 inch to 4 inches! I am oddly proud of this! LOL

My silver dollar fish (4) will actually come to the front of the tank and look at me if I talk to them softly in a happy voice. And yes, they do watch tv. The tv is just beyond my sitting chair about 20 feet away from their tank & they have a birds eye view. they also watch me & my 30 pound dog play fetch a lot. :)

BlackOsprey

Well Known
Reaction score
I have a pea puffer tank right across from my bed. Every morning, without fail, at the first sign of movement from me, my puffer does its little "omg the food person is here" wiggle-dance all over that glass. It's a nice lil thing to wake up to every day.

OP
Zeon

Zeon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
CrayfishAreAwesome said:
my crayfish did this once.
Bubble_Crayfish.JPG
That is an unusual looking crayfish?
What is it in?
do they get bored?

OP
Zeon

Zeon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
CrayfishAreAwesome said:
my crayfish did this once.
Bubble_Crayfish.JPG
That is an unusual looking crayfish?
What is it in?
do they get bored?

OP
Zeon

Zeon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Awaken_Riceball_ said:
I opened my canister filter for maintenance after 2 months and found two KuhlI loaches still alive inside of it. I was very impressed. I have a pre-filter now to avoid it from reoccurring.

If I wear a yellow shirt or jacket, then my Angelfish pair will hide in fear. So I literally cannot wear yellow inside the home. Only when I leave to go to work.

I was sold a blue/yellow Galaxy KoI Betta from a LFS. Well, it turned out to be Blue/Red/White, the US colors displaying proudly.

The saddest one of all. I had a Fluval Spec 5 Betta Desk Aquarium at my work. Fast forward, 2 months later. Someone stole it. :( I still miss that Platinum white crown tail betta. Forever gone.
20180330_174933.jpg
I am sorry about your betta. Someone stole a full aquarIum from a desk? That is weird and selfish.
My Goldfish actually got sucked up my job filter once. I came home and I did not see MoshI in the tank. I started panicking because I thought it was dead. I pulled a few attachments over and saw the tail. I pulled the goldfish out. It was alive but shocked. It swam very little for days but eventually got better. MochI is still with me.

OP
Zeon

Zeon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
KenedeeRenee said:
I have two stories to share. First is my smaller pleco in my glofish tank has a bent tail. Like significantly bent. It makes for really awkward swimming habits, pretty cute to watch. I didn't notice his tail was bent went I first got him, but now as he gets bigger, his tail gets more and more of an angle in it. And he wiggles his butt harder and harder. Hah.
Second, Around 8 months ago or so, my boyfriend's uncle who has a long established pond in his backyard, he converted the in ground hot tub next to the pool into a pond because the hot tub was expensive to run, well he started to realize how over stocked his pond was with fish. It started with everyone in the family and close friends would bring their kid's carnival prize goldfish over to his house and release them into his pond when their kids lost interest and the parents were tired of cleaning the fishbowl. Over the years they have multiplied and obviously expanded in size to pretty big fishies. And they aren't as expensive, but greatly resemble fancy koI fish. And oh yeah, there are a lot of them. So he invited me over to go "fishing" in order to lessen his stock and add a few to my pond. Now these fish proved to be much smarter and trickier than I would have imagined, but I managed to catch one the first day, then we tried again the next day, and caught two more. The first one is a big red guy. Like around a foot or so in length I believe, the other two were around 5-6 inches or so. Anyways I brought them home and acclimated them by slowly adding water from my pond into the bucket they were in and finally got it pretty close to the same temp and fish seemed to be accepting the change well so I poured the bucket into the pond and went inside for about 20 minutes or so, when I came back outside I stopped to check on the new fish and all seems well, then it occurs to me, "1..2.. umm, where's the other fish?" I do one last look in the pond and realize he's really not in there and then I realized the water level had gotten a little higher than what I would usually keep it when I poured the new fish along with the bucket of water it was pretty close to the edge. Then I start panickedly start looking around the outside of the pond for this rather large fish. Then I spot him, he made quite the journey! He had apparently been panic stricken as well while he hopped all the way out to the driveway in front of the house, which isn't terribly far, but a good distance for a creature without legs to travel. (25 feet or so) Once I saw him, I thought for sure he was dead, but I ran over to him and as I approached him I saw his gills flare open and then shut in a gasping type way. Poor little guy was completely dried up and had gravel stuck all over him. I picked him up in a frenzy with my bare hands and ran him back over to the pond and placed him back in the water and then watched him to see if he was going to go into shock or miraculously pull through. He was one impressive fish. He sank to the bottom, stayed there for about a minute enjoying the ability to breathe water in and out of his gills once more then still all dried looking swims off like nothing ever happened. So I reached in and helped him dust off the gravel and he lived.. only for around 3 months following his incident though. He suffered a lot of external damage from his travels. A massive sunburn in which he peeled, and peeled. A dried up tail fin which eventually just fell off and left him with a stump, and all following that eventually turned into an infection because he was not healing. I tried so hard to nurse him back to health, I quarantined him in a container outside the pond with regular water changes and melafix. But he couldn't pull through. This was of course a bummer, but a great learning experience and kind of humorous looking back on how it all played out. I definitely will always remember my brave little trooper and always make sure the water level in the pond is moderately below the top edge. Below is a picture of crooked tail pleco and below that is missing tail fishy when he was going into his quarantine tank.
20200330_022946.jpg
20190927_170023.jpg
Poor fish. At least you have an unusual pleco.

New Threads