Are the recommended wattages for planted tanks just for incandescent bulbs?

1. mutantguppy Initiate Member

I was wondering this since with a cfl and an incandescent bulb rated for the same wattage requirments, the cfl is more efficient and puts out more watts in light energy then the incandescent.

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think incandescent bulbs are made to grow plants. I use flouresent.

3. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

The wattage recommendations are for standard florecent lights( T8, T12,T5NO). CFLs and T5HO are more efficent, so it takes fewer watts to run the light.

4. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

They're specifically for the T12s. T8s are a bit more efficient. T5s quite a bit more efficient, and T5HOs much, much more efficient.

Incandescent bulbs can be used to grow plants, but usually only in small tanks. The heat output generated by the bulbs needed for incandescent lighting for a planted tank would be problematic, both from the viewpoint of keeping the tank cool and the safety of the hood itself.

5. mutantguppy Initiate Member

What wattage cfl would I want to get for a 29 gallon to get medium brightness?

6. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

What is the max wattage rating on your hood?

7. mutantguppy Initiate Member

The hood i currently have is for incandescent bulbs and is rated for 50 watts max

8. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I replaced my incandescent bulbs with CFLs. My hood on one tank is rated for 15 watts. So, I purchased a 10 watt CFL that states it produces the same light as 50 watts incandescent.

Difference was quite drastic.

9. mutantguppy Initiate Member

I allready use 2 13 watt cfls in my hood.