Are Snails Better For Cycling A New Tank? Question

1. Brok3n

Brok3n New Member Member

someone told me that snails were excellent for cycling a new tank since they eat everything so they produce more ammonia and nitrites. This was in comparison to using fish. Is this accurate? Are they better or the same as shrimp? I’m hesitant to put in shrimp because they seem very sensative to ammonia.

2. I

Indeever New Member Member

You could cycle a tank with snails as snails don't produce as much Ammonia as fish. But just like shrimp they are also very sensitive to amonia and nitrite. If you cycled a tank with snails or shrimp, you would probably get an ammonia spike if you added a fish in. I have tried cycling with shrimp and it did not go well. The shrimp survived the cycle but when I added a fish, the ammonia spiked and all the shrimp died. This of course depends on what fish you add in after. You can cycle your tank without harming your fish by doing a fishless cycle. Good luck :)

3. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

You could throw some fish food or a piece of raw shrimp into the tank and that will produce ammonia quicker than a snail.

4. Mmmph

Mmmph New Member Member

I cycled my tank with the pest snails that came with my plants. I basically crushed ones I could find against the glass and let the rest eat the remains (gruesome). It took about 3 weeks to see 0 ammonia and nitrite, then I stocked it really slowly. Definitely works if you’re careful.

I think shrimps are more sensitive so I’d go with snails.