Are snails a danger to a 10 gallon shrimp tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by f2002, Aug 14, 2015.

1. f2002Valued MemberMember

I'm helping a relative set up a 10 gallon shrimp tank. She doesn't like filters or air stones for aesthetic reasons. Right now there are about 8 red cherry shrimps (adding about 10 more tomorrow), and the tank is filled with a fist-sized pelia moss and 5 stalks of thin leaf anacharis, and 4 long stems of hornwarts. 3 Questions

1. I've been noticing tiny little snails in there. They have almost translucent shells and some dark dots on the shells. I've been taking them out as I see them (like 2-3 a day) but they keep coming back. Are they a danger to the tank? Will they eat the live plants or will they only eat the dead plant debri? Are they competing against the shrimps for food (which I assume is biofilm)?

2. Also, do we need to feed these shrimps anything special? I've put in a tiny piece of algae wafer, but they'e mostly ignored it. The shrimps look happy and always busy picking stuff off the decoration and pelia moss, so I assume I don't have to feed them anything special. I also don't want to over feed b/c this tank is unfiltered.

3. How many red cherry shrimps can a planted tank like this sustain without filters?

2. junebugFishlore LegendMember

They're pond or bladder snails. Maybe ramshorns. Not generally an issue, but most tanks have filters, so... yeah. I've never had them in an unfiltered tank before.

The shrimp will need shrimp food, available at just about any LFS. Shrimp pellets are good for them also, as they contain the calcium and iodine the shrimp need to molt.

How large is the tank? With no water movement from a filter or powerhead or something, there's a decent chance the plants will be having issues soon.

3. GenaWell Known MemberMember

You can do some research about what species of fish can eat snails. You'll have to crush the shell and remove the meat for most fish. Just saying, you can get rid of snails and feed your fish with them. I got bladder snails in my tropical community and I got rid of them by going snail hunting a few times a day and feeding the snails to my puffers. It took less than two weeks to get rid of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. f2002Valued MemberMember

It is a 10 gallon tall (halfmoon hex kinda deal).

That's a great idea. I never thought of that. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice