30 Gallon Tank Are skirt tetras worth it?

TanksForTalking2Me

I've never found tetras very interesting or active unless kept in big groups that I could not handle. For anyone who has kept skirt tetras i would love to hear from you!
Are they nice fish to have? I like them the best out of all tetras and I was thinking I could get some in the future but I'm debating whether I should. They are pretty and every video I see of them I fall in love. But... I really love fish that are active and I'll never get bored watching, let me know if you love your skirt tetras!

Betta'sAnonymous

They aren't really my cup of tea, but i am one who firmly believes that if you like/love them, they are totally worth it!

mattgirl

I have long finned black skirts. Mine have started slowing down but they are getting pretty old. They have been with me for over 5 years. I am now down to just 4 of them and it seems the smaller shoal of them may be why they are less active.

I had 6 to start with. If I could get more I wouldn't hesitate to get them. They are very peaceful and such graceful little creatures. Unlike other species of long finned fish the fins on these aren't overly long. Just enough to gently flow as they glide through the water. They are my favorite species of Tetra.

jmaldo

I started my "Wet Pet" journey with 6 Black Skirts. I thought they were very active and personable. They would spare occasionally. Kept them for a few years.
Maybe I'll give them a go again in the future, and go with a dozen or more.

Good Luck!

TanksForTalking2Me

jmaldo said:
I started my "Wet Pet" journey with 6 Black Skirts. I thought they were very active and personable. They would spare occasionally. Kept them for a few years.
Maybe I'll give them a go again in the future, and go with a dozen or more.

Good Luck!
I think I'll give them a try one day, I like these guys because they have bigger bodies and can be seen better.

Hellfishguy

Skirt tetras are very hardy and can live a long time, but there are so many nicer tetra species to chose from, such as black phantoms.

TanksForTalking2Me

Hellfishguy said:
Skirt tetras are very hardy and can live a long time, but there are so many nicer tetra species to chose from, such as black phantoms.
I like black phantoms a lot! But... The back to my tank is painted black, I was thinking of skirts because they come in white. If I get another tank that's big enough for black phantoms I'll definitely get them.

Betta'sAnonymous

I want black phantoms myself. Last school i have left for this tank, in fact, but i can't find them locally at all lately! If i don't see some in the next 2-3 months, i may substitute skirt tetras or silver tip tetras.

Hellfishguy

TanksForTalking2Me

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I want black phantoms myself. Last school i have left for this tank, in fact, but i can't find them locally at all lately! If i don't see some in the next 2-3 months, i may substitute skirt tetras or silver tip tetras.
You might have to look online for a breeder or try to find a fish store dedicated to aquarium fish.
Hellfishguy said:
Diamond tetras will pop against a black background.
Definitely! Ive seen them a few times at my local fish store, they are very shiny.

Hellfishguy

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Aquahuna has black phantoms.

Betta'sAnonymous

Hellfishguy said:
Aquahuna has black phantoms.
They aren't quite that rare that i want to ship halfway across country...that and our weather thinks it is winter again...i got plenty of time. That aquarium ain't going nowhere!

Latest threads

Top Bottom