Are Silvertip Tetras Aggressive?

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was recommended to get silvertip tetras for my aquarium on this forum, and really like them. I have been researching care and information regarding the species, and everything said they are good community fish. However, I came across a site with horror stories about silvertips saying they were very aggressive, were fin nippers, and attacked other fish and even each other. Are they really this bad? If they are agressive, why does everything else I read state to the contrary? And will they be okay with guppies and an opaline gourami?

Accents

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello! I do not know too much about schooling fish, but from other posts and things I've read online, most schooling fish will get nippy because they are stressed. This is usually because the school isn't large enough, which is also why larger tanks are recommended. If you have a large enough tank, I think with a large enough school they should do okay. However, you'll have to be prepared for the opposite and have a different tank or be willing to give them up should they become aggressive.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If silvertip tetras are kept in a big enough school, there should be no problems with them fin-nipping. Many have kept a big school of them in community tanks successfully.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The behaviour and "communication" is extremely misunderstood.

They are great, little bold personalities but often brought back to the lfs cause they show different behavioir than other tetras.

The constantly show of and "communicate" that way. They can chase a female till it is exahausted in a hiding place.

They're no finnippers and when you accept/understand this ate great fish.

More docile fish (of the same size) can have a hard time cause of their different "language". If that is taken in account then they are AWESOME

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There seem to be similar posts on Fishlore about Skirt Tetras and Serpae Tetras from time to time also. Other species are also known to be nippy / aggressive.

The usual suggestion is that larger schools of these fish are kept. This may require a larger tank and the reduction of the number of species kept.

Something that is hardly ever suggested here, but is common on some other forums is to keep them in a single species tank or a single shoal with bottom feeders.

I also prefer keeping single species because I can then provide them with their exact requirements without compromise.

I suspect a number of common problems originate from us keeping a mixture of fish in a small space i.e. a community tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom