Are Siamese algae eaters safe?

Vegetarianpanda

I know chinease algae eaters get big and suck on fish slime coats when adults. Do simease algae do that? Do I need to worry about aggression with these guys. I got black beard algae and I'd love to get ride of which I heard SAE can help with but if they are aggressive I'd just live with the black beard algae...

Fishproblem

Sure, provided you don't get chinese algae eaters by accident. And provided you're able to keep them when they get 6" long. If you have BBA and want to get rid of it, no animals are guaranteed to do it for you. You're much better off identifying the source of the problem and handling that. Use the search bar to find some threads on BBA. It's a great place to start, and if you don't get an answer there, post your own thread about it!

Welcome to fishlore! I hope you enjoy the community.

Upvote 0

Vegetarianpanda

Sure, provided you don't get chinese algae eaters by accident. And provided you're able to keep them when they get 6" long. If you have BBA and want to get rid of it, no animals are guaranteed to do it for you. You're much better off identifying the source of the problem and handling that. Use the search bar to find some threads on BBA. It's a great place to start, and if you don't get an answer there, post your own thread about it!

Welcome to fishlore! I hope you enjoy the community.
I haven't gotten any new black beard algae growth since when I first converted it from a goldfish tank to a tropical tank (it appeared when I first turned it into a tropical tank). I'd like to get rid of it on the older moneywort plant I have or at least cut down on it.

Its not the end of the world if they dont get rid of it and I'd be moving them into my 80 gallon once they deal with the black beard algae in my 32 gallon.

Upvote 0

Fishproblem

I haven't gotten any new black beard algae growth since when I first converted it from a goldfish tank to a tropical tank (it appeared when I first turned it into a tropical tank). I'd like to get rid of it on the older moneywort plant I have or at least cut down on it.

Its not the end of the world if they dont get rid of it and I'd be moving them into my 80 gallon once they deal with the black beard algae in my 32 gallon.
If it's not actively growing and is just lingering now that whatever the source was has been eliminated, just spot treat with hydrogen peroxide. Way effective!

Upvote 0

Vegetarianpanda

If it's not actively growing and is just lingering now that whatever the source was has been eliminated, just spot treat with hydrogen peroxide. Way effective!
I prefer not using chemicals as I have fry... but looks like I dont need to do anything as my swordtails decided to pick off all the black beard algae lol. I just love sucker types of fish in general, wanted an excuse to get another fish

Upvote 0

altwitch

I keep otos and SAEs in pretty much all of my tanks, with proper lighting settings and the little munchers I really don't have any serious algae problems at all. All my tanks are community with a wide variety of residents that range from small tetra/rasbora sized to large angelfish and rainbowfish. I've not noted any signs of aggression or behavior like slime sucking over the course of a year. It could be possible they'd try something if they were starving but otherwise should be good.

Upvote 0

barbiespoodle

I didn't have bba, but once apon a time my 55 community was plagued with green algae so much I couldn't even see the fish. I would scrape the sides weekly and still couldn't keep up with it.

After much research, I added 5 nerite snails, 3 otto cats and 3 sae's. 2 months later and not a speck of algae survived. They even got the algae out of the scratches, it's a used tank.

At the time all my decorations were plastic and the clean up crew had them looking brand new as well. Now the tank is all live plants, wood and rocks and they keep those totally clean of algae without harming the plants.
I've since rehomed the otto cats to one of the shrimp tanks since the tiny little dears couldn't compete with the sae's, and they are more visible in the shrimp tanks .

Back to your question, I have never seen my sae's go after any of my fish and I have a wide variety of small to large and many different shapes. I've become a big fan of them, I love their steamline look, how active they are, and how they perch on a leaf when they rest, they are entertaining to watch.

Just make sure it's sae's your getting and not flying foxes. They look enough alike that it is not unknown for a fish store to mislable them. Go to youtube and you'll find out how to make sure you are actually buying sae's, a lesson well worth watching.

I would also like to mention that while I did say I got nerite snails to help with the algae and I do love them, they are so pretty and do a great job of algae control, I seriously do not like the way they leave white dots all over my wood, rocks and tank sides, aka, their eggs (which will never hatch in fresh water).

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
Wouldratherwatchaquarium
Replies
Views
EpikTurtle