Are shrimps a useful addition to a tank or just pretty

1. Ursinos Member Member

Ok, so I've read any number of times here that aquarium livestock sold for a specific purpose rarely do a good job at what they are sold for. I understand that.

My question is, besides looking interesting, is it actually beneficial to the eco-system of a freshwater tank to add invertebrates such as shrimp? I'm asking because i'm seriously considering adding a couple red cherry shrimp to my 20g tank as tank-mates for my guppies.

I read that they eat a lot of the detrius that build up in the substrate from fish waste, and feed a bit on algae as well. Is it enough to make a noticeable difference in the tank?

2. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Shrimp help clean the tank. They also provide live food, mainly in the form of shrimplets, for fish that are picky eaters or opportunistic predators. All of my tanks have shrimp for those reasons.

3. Ursinos Member Member

just how sensitive are they to high pH? Most of the info I've been reading has their high end at 7.5, but the pH of my water usually runs around 7.8 or so.

4. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

They'll be fine, the higher kH and GH will just mean they have harder exoskeletons :) , not a bag thing when with hungry guppies.

5. Ursinos Member Member

cool, will look into getting some :D

6. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Mine are in 7.8 without a problem.

7. Ursinos Member Member

thanks. I just need to get a bit more in the way of hiding spots in the tank for them before picking any up. (hoping that BigAls has some so I don't have to order online).

I'm hoping to add at least one more plant next week, and maybe a couple pieces of lava rock arranged for some small nooks and cranies for them to hide in.

Honestly, I'm waiting for my wife to smack me cause she's still waiting to set HER tank up lol

8. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

My shrimps pick up the poop and eat off of it as you would eat corn on the cob and then throw the poop and get a new piece. So they don't really clean it up... They just snack on the undigested food in the poop. I offer all kinds of foods because I have snails and they seem to like it all. They eat algae wafers, shrimp pellets, and goldfish flakes. They seem to really like the goldfish flakes. They are always eating things in the sand that are too small for me to see at all too. Also I have a well on limestone bedrock so my ph comes out at at least 7.8 as well and the shrimps are okay.

9. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

Here's a video of one snacking in some snail poop. As you can see none really gets eaten, more like they eat tiny things out of the poop. https://vimeo.com/174017144