Are serpae tetras jumpers????

Gagep

Are serpae tetras jumpers because I want to add a pothos plant with the roots in the aquarium water, and I have this peice that comes off, and in order to have the plant there
I will have to remove the peice the dimensions are 3 inches w and 3 inches deep here are some images:
A580125D-F549-4F9B-929D-1FD433C56AA2.jpeg
4C460E3E-2EC4-4A41-B064-D21AD0750C53.jpeg
19FC9147-F4F1-4A25-A03A-DE96205B4FCD.jpegsorry for the dirty ness my aquarium cleaning is tommarrow

Bruinfishkeeper1

When I had them, I had no jumpers and I honestly don't think they will, but to be safe you could always cut a polycarbonate sheet to fit the spot of the tank where it's not covered (these sheets can be found at Home Depot, Lowes and I think ace and are pretty cheap)

(also glad to see you added pothos!!!:))

Upvote 0

Gagep

When I had them, I had no jumpers and I honestly don't think they will, but to be safe you could always cut a polycarbonate sheet to fit the spot of the tank where it's not covered (these sheets can be found at Home Depot, Lowes and I think ace and are pretty cheap)

(also glad to see you added pothos!!!:))
Ok, do you think plastic wrap would work too???

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

Yup plastic wrap would work just fine. My only thing about plastic wrap is that it's hard to maneuver with, but honestly it's just a small part of your lid so you should be fine.

Upvote 0

Gagep

Yup plastic wrap would work just fine. My only thing about plastic wrap is that it's hard to maneuver with, but honestly it's just a small part of your lid so you should be fine.
Ok thank you so much for the response and I will just leave it open maybe add some screen( like the kind for screened in porches.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Ok thank you so much for the response and I will just leave it open maybe add some screen( like the kind for screened in porches.
Screening could definitely work. I havent had my serpaes ever jump, but i wouldn't put it past them, either. They can be little scoundrels.

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

Not in my experience, in fact they mostly stuck to lower half of my aquarium. They can be really active when establishing a pecking order and what not, but after a few months mine settled down. Those first few initial months are the only time I'd be concerned just because they may try and chase eachother, which could lead to them accidentally jumping but tbh I think the chances are p slim.

Upvote 0

Gagep

So this doesn’t protain to this but, I don’t have enough money to get a pothos do you think I can use a sweet patato???

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

So this doesn’t protain to this but, I don’t have enough money to get a pothos do you think I can use a sweet patato???
Yup sweet potato will work well.

Upvote 0

bumblinBee

As a side note, if buying the plant is too expensive, try and see if you have neighbours/friends that own a pothos. I'm sure they'd be willings to give you some cuttings.

Upvote 0

pagoda

It doesn't matter which species or variant of fish that you have in your aquarium....and this applies to all aquarium types.....

All fish have the potential to jump. Every fish has a Houdini side to them. Whether they use it or not depends on a multitude of things.

Reasons for jumping, in my experience from my own aquariums and outdoor ponds and friends aquariums, are :

Being spooked...either by aggression from a tankmate or something simple like dozing and the light going on startling them

Being attacked by a tankmate....fight or flight impulse frequently means flight (straight out of the aquarium)

Bad water chemistry....if the water is not right and they are physically irritated by it, they will leave, especially ammonia burning as that is excrutiatingly painful

Some fish simply refuse to be in an aquarium, especially wild caught. I have come across fish who were claustrophobic and just couldn't handle life in an aquarium

It makes no difference how tightly that hood fits on your aquarium, if a fish ain't happy, it ain't going to stay put

Fish jump...they do it in the wild so why people assume they won't do it when in captivity is just strange.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gagep
  • Question
Replies
Views
LHanna61
Replies
Views
AndEEss