Are rope fish aggressive?

littleslayer15
I would like a community tank but when I do research on a rope fish I keep getting mixed answers some say they are aggressive and some say they are not. Also do rope fish take up a lot of room since they get really long?

RogueAgent94
Hi,

I love ropefish! They were one of my very favorite fish in my fishroom. No, they are not terribly aggressive fish. They will eat smaller fish though. If you have them with fish like tetras they will eat them. If you have them with other fish like Angels they won't eat them. Space wise they don't take up a lot of room but because they are long and thin they need a lot of swimming room. They also need groups of at least 3. I think you should keep them in group of 6 though because they are very social fish. They hide a lot during the day so you won't see them too much unless the lights are off. You may want to consider that before you buy them. Also make sure you have enough room in your tank for them. They prefer to have decorations in the tank that are long and tubular so they can sit in them but they also like large pieces of driftwood to curl up behind.

littleslayer15
Thanks for the advice, I saw them in the pet store and they look really interesting but I already have 2 tetras and I plan to get more since they are schooling fish, is there anyway to prevent them from eating the tetras (I doubt it but it can't hurt to try)

RogueAgent94
Mine wouldn't eat certain types of tetras. What kind do you have?

littleslayer15
Mine wouldn't eat certain types of tetras. What kind do you have?

I have a silvertip tetra (play on getting a school of them) I also have another kind but I am not sure what type because I got it a longtime ago when I didn't know to much about fish. I also plan on getting some neon tetras.

RogueAgent94
Yeah, silvertips and neons will get eaten. Tetras like Bleeding Hearts and Congos won't get eaten.

littleslayer15
aw that sucks do you know any fish like a rope fish that won't eat any fish?

RogueAgent94
;D Most eel like fish will eat smaller fish. Sorry. KuhlI Loaches are similar to rope fish in shape and they are peaceful! They like big groups too.

littleslayer15
I looked at the KuhlI Loaches and it looks pretty cool to, so I will see if any store in my area has them. How many do you recommend I should have?

RogueAgent94
At least 10 Kuhlis. There are two varieties that I know of. Normal striped and Black. Both look pretty cool

kensgirlchrisy
We had a rope fish in a community tank and she did very well..... we did put a few small feeder fish in once and awhile for her, did not have any problems with her eating other fish.

littleslayer15
We had a rope fish in a community tank and she did very well..... we did put a few small feeder fish in once and awhile for her, did not have any problems with her eating other fish.diffenceit

Well my tetra is really small at the moment it might even be smaller than some feeders. I might decide to get one once my fish have grown a bit.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
notBrandon
Replies
Views
BlackTeeShirt
Replies
Views
Sb092
Replies
Views