Are reptile lamps fine for fish tanks

1. josh7 Well Known Member Member

I was just wondering because they are a lot cheaper if not it's fine. I would be placing one of the dome type reptile lamps on top of glass tops.

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You can get big ceramic socket shop lights at Lowes for $12. I use one of these for my Mali Uromastyx's heat lamp. But my point is, you don't need to rely on the petsore when home improvement stores carry better and cheaper things ;)

3. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Alright will go look at them thanks and are they the same as normal aquarium lights as fir how long you leave them on for.

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes. You'll want a power strip hooked up to a timer, because they usually don't have switches. Mine doesn't :;nin2

5. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;bnMy time is my finger. You know Off/On.

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

The spot light I have for my terrarium doesn't have a switch, just a plug lol. Given most tanks are on solid stands, you don't want to have to get behind the stand twice a day just to plug or unplug it lol

7. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:pBy the way, I use a reptile light on my smallest Betta Tank. Just don't put in a heat bulb. I almost melted the top of aquarium container. So, with the proper bulb as Akari listed, it is good to go.

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, don't use a brooders lamp in there LOL Just a regular bulb that lets it sit flat. A fog lamp might be the right size/shape....

9. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Alright I actually looked at home depot and saw these strip lights could you put those on top of glass tops.

10. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

That could work too :)

11. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Alright thanks will decide when I set up the tank on may 6th.

12. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You're welcome :)