Are red tail sharks aggressive?

Passionfish

Are red tail sharks aggressive?
They can and will be towards their own kind, more and more towards maturity. They can be absolutely nasty towards each other. To other fish, they are nice enough, until the other fish hit them first.

Upvote 0

fallfever

They will not tolerate other sharks. They are also very territorial and need a cave or something similar to protect. They don’t usually bite but they will chase to the point of exhausting another fish.

Upvote 0

fallfever

Watch him with the pandas since the shark will spend a lot of time in the lower half of the aquarium. Just give him his own cave or decor. The other fish are likely to be big enough and smart enough to get out of his way and are likely fine.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Is it the 60 gallon tank?
It can work, you will need to watch it as it grows.
They can be very peacefull to tank mates, especially when young. But as it grows, it will become less tolerent to fish in its territory. So, I would not add more bottom feeders. I suggust you keep a lot of hide outs on the ground level. even pvc pipes or flower pots, I dont know if he will always be ok, but you have the right set up. Your tank is large and understocked. Avoid active aggressors if you add more fish, like pictus cats or kribensis cichlids.

Upvote 0

Dillan Murphy

Is it the 60 gallon tank?
It can work, you will need to watch it as it grows.
They can be very peacefull to tank mates, especially when young. But as it grows, it will become less tolerent to fish in its territory. So, I would not add more bottom feeders. I suggust you keep a lot of hide outs on the ground level. even pvc pipes or flower pots, I dont know if he will always be ok, but you have the right set up. Your tank is large and understocked. Avoid active aggressors if you add more fish, like pictus cats or kribensis cichlids.
Yes in the 60 gallon but I forgot to mention I have a koi angelfish I'm the same tank

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

The angel is a top dweller, the shark is a bottom dweller. The major problem is if your shark is overly aggressive or stressed and starts fin nipping. All I can say is that The Pink Glo fish shark I had for a year was very peaceful. , It was a cute curious fish that appeared to be getting along with everybody. Then one day she was dead for no reason that I could identify. I think I have the curse of the too expensive fish.

Upvote 0

jmaldo

Red Tailed Shark, "Beautiful" fish, but careful. Depends on the fish, I purchased one approx. 1-1.5" it was fine in the 55 community. But then after about 6 months it had grown to about 3". It decided to become a terror chasing everyone that could be intimidated. Ended up trading in to the LFS. They even mentioned their tendency to become jerks. Here is a pic kinda of blurry.

Red Tailed Shark.jpg

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

TheFishWhisperer

Hello,
I have had a lot of experience with Red Tailed Sharks. This message is not to discourage you but rather to prepare you. Red tailed sharks when they are little tend to stay in their own spot and to not really care about other fish. As they grow and become older, they become a big bully or at least that is what happened to mine. He started attacking and killing other fish in our 75g tank. If you continue researching and learning about what they like and dislike I'm sure you will be able to manage one. Just make sure to keep your eye on the shark.

Upvote 0

Anixandria

I agree and disagree with this post. Red tails have very difficult temperament to deal with, but once it’s happy it’s the (semi) perfect fish. My guy William Sharkspear is in a 20g (was told this was a good size for him a year ago smh) with 5 Glofish tetras and he’s completely nonagressive. He was cranky for a while but between making sure he had lots of nice hides and feeding him a bit more- he’s a perfect angel! But I also adore his stupid lil face so I might be biased.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Fishkeeper25
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fishowner24
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dillan Murphy
Replies
Views
qldmick
Replies
Views
Mcasella

Random Great Thread!

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

New Freshwater Shark Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom