Are red cherry shrimps hardier than other color???

  • Thread starter

Petchratn

Valued Member
Messages
228
Reaction score
78
Points
38
Since the only red color cherry shrimps are cheaper (about half of the price) of black, chocolate, blue dream, blue bolt, blue velvet, swallow and so on!
So I wonder are red cherry shrimps hardier for wider length parameter? Or easier to keep and breed than other or what??
Why the red color shrimps only half price of others.
I like blue and chocolate shrimps though.
 

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,517
Reaction score
3,696
Points
458
Cherries are usually the first shrimp other than ghosts that are picked. Since they are popular with beginners and were one of the first color morphs bred from wild Neocaridina davidii, their line has been bred the most, and has been the most stabilized. They can handle wide parameter ranges and mine do just fine with huge water changes weekly.

Black, chocolate, and blue are bred from red Neocaridina strains. These colors are less common and don't breed "true", in that black shrimp will produce red babies frequently. Because these colors are not stabilized and don't appear as often, they cost more.

Blue bolts are something completely different. They are Caridina shrimp, and are the result of a mutation from the more common Crystal Bee shrimp seen in the hobby.
 

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Messages
3,001
Reaction score
916
Points
148
Experience
2 years
Reds are cheaper (especially if they're cherry grade) because there's more demand for less popular colors, such as blue, black, and orange. They're also more likely to remain consistent when breeding over time. I don't find the other particularly harder to breed, but I definitely have to cull more. Right now, I breed Bloody Mary, blue dream, and black rose shrimp. Actually, I find that the black shrimp culls turn out more blue than red!
 

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,517
Reaction score
3,696
Points
458
MaximumRide14 said:
Reds are cheaper (especially if they're cherry grade) because there's more demand for less popular colors, such as blue, black, and orange. They're also more likely to remain consistent when breeding over time. I don't find the other particularly harder to breed, but I definitely have to cull more. Right now, I breed Bloody Mary, blue dream, and black rose shrimp. Actually, I find that the black shrimp culls turn out more blue than red!
If I'm not mistaken, you can isolate a black line from either red or blue! The color charts for shrimp breeding are pretty convoluted lol
 
  • Thread starter

Petchratn

Valued Member
Messages
228
Reaction score
78
Points
38
Fahn said:
Cherries are usually the first shrimp other than ghosts that are picked. Since they are popular with beginners and were one of the first color morphs bred from wild Neocaridina davidii, their line has been bred the most, and has been the most stabilized. They can handle wide parameter ranges and mine do just fine with huge water changes weekly.

Black, chocolate, and blue are bred from red Neocaridina strains. These colors are less common and don't breed "true", in that black shrimp will produce red babies frequently. Because these colors are not stabilized and don't appear as often, they cost more.

Blue bolts are something completely different. They are Caridina shrimp, and are the result of a mutation from the more common Crystal Bee shrimp seen in the hobby.
Wow!!!
When I start a shrimp tank, I probably go with one color to prevent cull, dull colors, if that I’d better go for red, too. And it probably would be less sensitive with water parameters.
Thank you.
 

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,517
Reaction score
3,696
Points
458
Petchratn said:
Wow!!!
When I start a shrimp tank, I probably go with one color to prevent cull, dull colors, if that I’d better go for red, too. And it probably would be less sensitive with water parameters.
Thank you.
If you're serious about breeding you will still need to cull in order to seperate higher grades of reds from one another. Bloody Mary > Painted Fire Red > Cherry > Wild Type Neo (dull brown/clear).
 

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,366
Reaction score
4,967
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
Even with red you will still need to cull. Reds do breed brown. Browns need to be culled to keep the red color.
 
  • Thread starter

Petchratn

Valued Member
Messages
228
Reaction score
78
Points
38
Fahn said:
If you're serious about breeding you will still need to cull in order to seperate higher grades of reds from one another. Bloody Mary > Painted Fire Red > Cherry > Wild Type Neo (dull brown/clear).
I probably not even know that (grading) as long as they are pretty close to solid red, I just don’t want the kind of shrimps color that almost clear, really translucent. I saw those on eBay.
But it seems like they will always be some occasional results of breeding that will turn out cull, dull, clear.
 

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,517
Reaction score
3,696
Points
458
Petchratn said:
I probably not even know that (grading) as long as they are pretty close to solid red, I just don’t want the kind of shrimps color that almost clear, really translucent. I saw those on eBay.
You can always sell culls or give them their own tank ;)
 
  • Thread starter

Petchratn

Valued Member
Messages
228
Reaction score
78
Points
38
Fahn said:
You can always sell culls or give them their own tank ;)
Thank you so much, you are super informative, :) but i can imagine room full of tanks of different shrimp grades. Now I feel like cherry shrimps deserve to be more expensive, we just can’t make them identical like cloning. But they are so cute, so I will get my hands on for sure.
 

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,517
Reaction score
3,696
Points
458
Petchratn said:
Thank you so much, you are super informative, :) but i can imagine room full of tanks of different shrimp grades. Now I feel like cherry shrimps deserve to be more expensive, we just can’t make them identical like cloning. But they are so cute, so I will get my hands on for sure.
I don't cull mine. They're for me to enjoy, I just like seeing them active and producing lots of babies. If I was breeding for profit it would be different, but for now they all just make me happy.
 
  • Thread starter

Petchratn

Valued Member
Messages
228
Reaction score
78
Points
38
Fahn said:
I don't cull mine. They're for me to enjoy, I just like seeing them active and producing lots of babies. If I was breeding for profit it would be different, but for now they all just make me happy.
This makes me grin. :)
 

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,366
Reaction score
4,967
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
Here’s some pics from one of my shrimp tanks. These are cherry shrimp but look at the colors.
5088AED7-69DB-4F21-BBD4-0B1BC6031CFD.jpeg
this one is one of my best. Notice the red legs.
EC3749D0-AFE8-4974-B883-274942008227.jpeg
these two are both nice color red the lower has red legs the upper does not. These are the differences.
0016C181-776A-4571-AC1E-4EFA6DD161C8.jpeg
this one has a bright red color but clear legs and the next one is a reddish brown.
FA423BA5-2707-4843-B7CA-1EC539FE87E9.jpeg
B1A00C80-B878-459D-B651-A3FC820926BD.jpeg
the whole tank.
 

Attachments

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Messages
3,001
Reaction score
916
Points
148
Experience
2 years
Fahn said:
If I'm not mistaken, you can isolate a black line from either red or blue! The color charts for shrimp breeding are pretty convoluted lol
That's true haha. I've taken the blue ones out before, but usually I sell them as black rose culls since they still have a really nice color. I see a couple small red/brown ones but they're too small to move.
 
  • Thread starter

Petchratn

Valued Member
Messages
228
Reaction score
78
Points
38
86 ssinit said:
Here’s some pics from one of my shrimp tanks. These are cherry shrimp but look at the colors.
5088AED7-69DB-4F21-BBD4-0B1BC6031CFD.jpeg
this one is one of my best. Notice the red legs.
EC3749D0-AFE8-4974-B883-274942008227.jpeg
these two are both nice color red the lower has red legs the upper does not. These are the differences.
0016C181-776A-4571-AC1E-4EFA6DD161C8.jpeg
this one has a bright red color but clear legs and the next one is a reddish brown.
FA423BA5-2707-4843-B7CA-1EC539FE87E9.jpeg
B1A00C80-B878-459D-B651-A3FC820926BD.jpeg
the whole tank.
Can same shrimp change color?
A while ago before I gave up the cherry shrimps. I bought premium shrimps from the petco then put in tank color looked more translucent since the first day and kept that way.
 

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,026
Reaction score
3,489
Points
613
Experience
More than 10 years
Most shrimp loose some colour in transit and go pale, full colour should come back within 24hrs but if the question is change from red to blue or yellow then no that type of change is only done by breeding
 
  • Thread starter

Petchratn

Valued Member
Messages
228
Reaction score
78
Points
38
richie.p said:
Most shrimp loose some colour in transit and go pale, full colour should come back within 24hrs but if the question is change from red to blue or yellow then no that type of change is only done by breeding
It looks more translucent than they were in store.
 

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,026
Reaction score
3,489
Points
613
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you give a photo
 

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,366
Reaction score
4,967
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
Photo will help. May have been stressed in the store or may be stressed now. How long have you hade them
 

ROFEA

Valued Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
18
Points
18
Experience
Just started
In my very limited experience the red are hardiest to survive and have way more eggs when pregnant. I prefer virtually every other color but i have mostly red. I know people get down on wild types but those seem more aesthetically pleasing to me than the red shrimp.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom