Are Red Belly Piranhas no longer available?

deadhead
I first started keeping my own aquariums over 30 years ago. One of the first tanks I kept had 6 red belly piranhas as the only inhabitants. I can't remember the last time I saw them at a LFS. I was wondering, are they no longer available to the industry?

sipec
I first started keeping my own aquariums over 30 years ago. One of the first tanks I kept had 6 red belly piranhas as the only inhabitants. I can't remember the last time I saw them at a LFS. I was wondering, are they no longer available to the industry?
U could see if they're on ur lfs order catalogue, although your fish store might just not have them

max h
I would say that if they got released into certain freshwater environments they out compete the native fish.

They are illegal in many states for home aquariums.

BigManAquatics
One of my LFSs had a red belly pirahana couple months ago. He was almost a foot long. Gnarly lookin' fish.

EbiAqua
They're restricted in certain states, mine included.

max h
They're restricted in certain states, mine included.

The would devastate the Floridas freshwater ecosystem. We already have enough problems with non native species as it is.

oOBlueOo
They pop up from time to time in my local fish club. Both red belly and black diamond.

max h
They pop up from time to time in my local fish club. Both red belly and black diamond.

They sure wouldn't live thru winter if released into a Wisconsin lake unless there was a power plant outlet in the lake.

SixThreeOh
I have a local store that seems to breed them. They have a wall with red bellies of all sizes from fry to full grown.

deadhead
I just looked it up. They are illegal in well over half the U.S. states including mine.

BigManAquatics
You need to move lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
hampalong
Replies
Views
mobnck
Replies
Views
coralbandit