Are RCS sensitive to salt?

1. kimoore Member Member

I have a bit of a planaria problem, (long story on how it happened, but regaurdless, I now have a problem.) I have seen it suggested that you add 1 TB of aquarium salt per 5gallons and gravel vac everyday. Are RCS sensitive to aquarium salt?

2. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Planaria are usually easy to get rid of with regular water changes. I just siphon them out. They are usually a sign that you need to clean your tank more. I'm not sure about the salt, RCS are a freshwater species. Personally I'd do some extra water changes instead of messing with salt.

3. kimoore Member Member

ya, im not going to lie, i havent been keeping up on this tank like i have my 20h. Plus, i think i have too much gravel in there. Im thinking about changing out the substrate and saving what RCS and MTS i can.... i will just have to deal with losing some of them... I think this may be the only way to completely clear everything up.

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I don't add any salt to my freshwater tanks, its a old outdated cure that IMO really doesn't work and often times can do more harm than good.

5. kimoore Member Member

ya, im just going to clean out the gravel. I have some TSS so that should help.

6. PrairieSunflower Initiate Member

I keep guppies and have a slightly salted tank (not salted to the point people would do for medicating) and my shrimp are thriving beautifully.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Salt isn't necessary with Planaria. Increase your gravel vacuums and water changes, reduce your feeding. It may take a while to rid them from your tank so be patient. Some fish may eat them. As long as they do not become over populated, there shouldn't be an issue.

Ken

8. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I keep a pretty clean tank and I got planeria too. Just keep syphoning them out, cut back on the food and keep the water clean. It clears up really fast. They don't bother the fish, they are just a nuisance.:;2cents

9. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

I see no problem with little aquarium pals :) Though a good gravel vac couldn't hurt.