Are Ram Eggs Ok?

JakeDfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
so I finally got my Ram eggs and its been almost 2 days but I haven’t seen a single wriggler. I am 99.9 percent sure they are fertilized because I watched the male push the female out of the way and king of twitch over all the eggs. He is fanning them right now. How long does it take for them to hatch? Shouldn’t at least a few be hatched by now? Do the parents eat the wrigglers? I will have pictures bellow. Does anyone have any ideas? Are they Not fertilized?

Attachments

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They look good to me! If they weren't viable, they'd be fungussed over by now. When they hatch to wigglers depends on the temp, but if you keep it at 82°, it should be soon! The male is doing a fine job. Congrats on the pair

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
so I finally got my Ram eggs and its been almost 2 days but I haven’t seen a single wriggler. I am 99.9 percent sure they are fertilized because I watched the male push the female out of the way and king of twitch over all the eggs. He is fanning them right now. How long does it take for them to hatch? Shouldn’t at least a few be hatched by now? Do the parents eat the wrigglers? I will have pictures bellow. Does anyone have any ideas? Are they Not fertilized?
Hi and congrats! I have only ever bred firemouth cichlids so this is going off of what I know but they almost look unfertalized. Most times if they are they will have a yellowish tiny and not be white. Maybe it’s just lighting or maybe is different with rams but that is just my oppinion. You will know in a day or two if they are any good. Good luck

JakeDfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They look good to me! If they weren't viable, they'd be fungussed over by now. When they hatch to wigglers depends on the temp, but if you keep it at 82°, it should be soon! The male is doing a fine job. Congrats on the pair
Thanks that’s good to hear. I was getting a little worried because I thought they hatched at 24 hours.

BettaDollar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the male is still fanning them they are most likely fine.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They do look awefully white, but I feel I can see a bit of yellow. All I know is that unfertilized eggs will fungus over in 24 hours, def by 2 days. And most of the time, the parents know if they are or not and oftentimes will eat them.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Give them 3-4 days, if they eat them don't worry in a couple of weeks you;ll have more, sometimes it takes them a few tries to get it right.

JakeDfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok I will wait and see. Will raising the temp to 84 help the eggs hatch faster they are currently the only ones in the tank.

The female just moved a few eggs over to a small hole I. The decor does that mean they are still good?

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks that’s good to hear. I was getting a little worried because I thought they hatched at 24 hours.
48 hrs I believe... then about 5 days before they change from wigglers to free swimmers.
My free swimmers are 3 days old now... about 80 of them, guessing of course as they look like fish but micro size!

My pair moved the eggs several times, digging pits in the gravel. The not viable eggs were eaten by the parents, they seem to know. They would be the white eggs, good one's are not pure white..

JakeDfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok I wasn’t planning on it. The eggs look like their yellowish transparent. I can’t see through them but they are fairly transparent. If they hatch at 48 hours they should be hatching tonight. A few have already gone missing. Not sure if that means they are wrigglers or they were eaten. I got brine shrimp eggs today. Does anyone have pictures or measurements of the wrigglers? Will I be able to see them? Thanks for all the help.

BettaDollar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Transparent is good. Should see eyes soon. Is your tank planted? Look for the missing ones in anyplace they could be hiding.
Is this your first hatch? Thinking you need a fry enclosure of some sort soon when they start to wiggle. Not sure exactly how long before they'll need fed, but I believe it's a day or 2.
FYI - a turkey baster is a great way to catch & transfer them.

Ok I wasn’t planning on it. The eggs look like their yellowish transparent. I can’t see through them but they are fairly transparent. If they hatch at 48 hours they should be hatching tonight. A few have already gone missing. Not sure if that means they are wrigglers or they were eaten. I got brine shrimp eggs today. Does anyone have pictures or measurements of the wrigglers? Will I be able to see them? Thanks for all the help.
Have you been watching the other posts for hatchlings?
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/question-about-feeding-fry.192830/
There's more than a few and some great info in them.

JakeDfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My tank is full of artificial plants. I will look for any a little harder. What do they look like? This is my first batch of eggs. I am planning on using a five gallon bucket with a medium sized bushy plant they can hide in. I have an extra heater and sponge filter I will use. Do they need a light? I am planning on using airline tubing to siphon them into the bucket. I have brine shrimp but is there any other home made food I can feed them? I saw a video where they crushed up cichlid pellets and fed that way. Could that be a supplement instead of brine shrimp. I don’t think I have enough brine shrimp for more than 2 weeks or so. Can I make it last longer Bay feeding crushed pellets?

Have you been watching the other posts for hatchlings?
Question about feeding fry | Breeding Fish 192830
There's more than a few and some great info in them.
Thanks I will follow those.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Why are you going to pull them? Do you have any other fish in with them? The wigglers you should be able to see, sometimes they can be hard to see. Good luck

JakeDfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am pulling them because I don’t want the parents to eat them. This is their first batch and I don’t want them to eat the fry. There aren’t any other fish.

There isn’t much of a change to the eggs. There started out as a single egg with what I think is fungus and no there are two more with fungus. Should I try to remove them? If so how? I am trying to see any movement around the eggs but I can’t find anything. I guess they must not have been fertilized after all. I have seen a few empty open shells though sinking to the bottom. The female is still at it taking the eggs that fell and placing them bake up where the mass majority of the eggs are. Is there any chance they will still hatch? Should I change temp or turn off lights? What influences the eggs to hatch?

There are these weird lines running across the eggs. They look like the head of the rams. Is this normal?

Attachments

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think that's the embryo you're seeing: the lines. Or is it the tail poking out? Can you see anything wiggling?

I pick those opaque ones away from the 'viable' eggs with the point of a skewer stick or toothpick even. I find the eggs or fungus sticks to the wood for easy removal. Usually the parents will pick them away, but not always. It leads to fungus that could spread to the good eggs and harm them. I'm surprised that took so long!

JakeDfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Good news! I have wrigglers! I thought it was because of water flow but they are definitely flopping around. Bad news there are only 11 out of 300 at the spot they just moved them and the female just ate two. (The male got very mad at her for that). Is now a good time to pull them?

I think that's the embryo you're seeing: the lines. Or is it the tail poking out? Can you see anything wiggling?

I pick those opaque ones away from the 'viable' eggs with the point of a skewer stick or toothpick even. I find the eggs or fungus sticks to the wood for easy removal. Usually the parents will pick them away, but not always. It leads to fungus that could spread to the good eggs and harm them. I'm surprised that took so long!
The lines are the black lines across the eyes. They look just like the parents.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom