Are Pygmy Pufferfish companions a definate no no?

1. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

I have been reading up on Pygmy Pufferfish for the past few weeks and whilst all articles say 'absolutely no long-finned slow moving fish', there seems to be a bit of conflict regarding whether Pygmy Puffers can have any sort of companions.

So I was just wondering whether I would be able to safely house a shoal of Pygmy Puffers in my tank. At the moment I have Cherry Barbs, Ruby Barbs, Serpae tetras, a pair of coolie loaches and a bristlenose cat, all of which are considered 'robust', but would they be robust enough if Pygmy Puffers were added to the mix?

Any advice is much appreciated :)

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

No, I would not add puffers to your tank. The only fish they can be kept with are otos.

Is this your 34 gal tank? You have some stocking issues if you want to discuss them :)

3. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

4. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

You can stock other nano-type fish with pea puffers, but it all depends on the individual puffers' personalities. IMO I would Not add them to your current stock. The biggest issue is not the aggression from the puffers but them being out-competed for food. They are not always the quickest eaters, and barbs and tetras are usually spazzes.

If you have another tank that you'd want to setup and want to talk about stocking options send me a PM. I'd be more than happy to share some ideas with you.

5. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

Thank you for the offer MJDuti however I don't have the space for another tank at the moment.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You have 3 species of mid/top dwelling schoolers, and generally 2 is recommended so the tank isn't too crowded. Schooling fish need to be in groups of 6+ also (kuhlis and ruby barbs, though I'd rehome the black ruby barbs and increase the schools of the other two species).

Too bad you don't have room for a 10 gal - that would be a great size tank for 1-2 dwarf puffers.

Good to know there are other options for tankmates! Mine even killed an oto, so I wouldn't have risked adding anything to their tank.

7. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately there were more Serpae Tetras, but three of them died due to old age (they are almost six now) so I don't want to add any more if the existing shoal are going to slowly decline until I'm stuck with the same issue. Since the ruby and cherry barbs are a lot younger, would it be worth boosting the numbers of those shoals instead?
    Also, how many Coolies would you recommend?

8. Gena Well Known Member Member

NO! Dwarf puffies have a bad reputation for not playing nicely with others. Not even ottos. What if Lil Puffie gets bored and decides to play "nom the ottos"?

9. oo7 Initiate Member

Same here, I came across conflicting information, but I've read the fish you mention will work. go on YouTube, you will see dwarf puffers in community tanks with the fish you mentioned. Seen them with crayfish too.

idk, I think it would work as long as it's not over stocked.