Are Pothos Leaves Toxic?

Panda_Mo
  • #1
So, I'm wanting to add Pothos to my aquarium but eailer, I was reading that Pothos are toxic to some household pets, such as cats or dogs. I know it's safe for fish to nibble on the roots but I couldn't find anything on if it was safe for fish to nibble on the leaves. Since, I have goldfish I fear that they could get sick if they ate some of the leaves. Help please. Also, I'm wanting to put the whole plant into the tank instead of the HOB.
 
CanadianFishFan
  • #2
Yep I swear its toxic for dogs and cats. It will irritate their stomach and throat and mouth. It can also make them vomit. Since when did I become a vet?
 
Rtessy
  • #3
So, I'm wanting to add Pothos to my aquarium but eailer, I was reading that Pothos are toxic to some household pets, such as cats or dogs. I know it's safe for fish to nibble on the roots but I couldn't find anything on if it was safe for fish to nibble on the leaves. Since, I have goldfish I fear that they could get sick if they ate some of the leaves. Help please. Also, I'm wanting to put the whole plant into the tank instead of the HOB.
Don't put the whole plant in the water, there's a reason only the roots go in. It's not a fully aquatic plant, so if it's placed entirely underwater, it will rot and produce ammonia and potentially release toxins from the leaves.
And no, I don't think the leaves are safe for goldfish to eat.
 
Panda_Mo
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
Thank you
 
Bryangar
  • #5
I wouldn’t recommend that you have it full submerged. It’s more effective when it’s hanging out of the tank with the roots in the tank only.

Pothos is toxic to cats and dogs, but I read that if fish nibble at it, it has a sour taste and they’ll stop eating it after the first time. It’s not toxic, from what I read a member said.

edit: here is what aqua said.

 
Alex6455
  • #6
Yup, I agree with the above posts. However, if you do chose to fully submerge it, it will stay alive. I had one fully submerged for about 2 months before it grew too big and I had to remove it. I was using it more as a decoration than nitrate remover, and also because I didn't have many plants. Now that I converted into a full blown planted tank, I don't need it anymore.
 
aussieJJDude
  • #7
The only reason why it is toxic is due to it containing oxalates - pretty common compound in most plants in order to reduce the chance of it becoming a snack. Oxalates is a mild irritant, and does have a sour taste, but it certainly isn't life threatening... the only thing that it really does is that it can bind with calcium which can reduce calcium intake...
 

Similar Aquarium Threads

  • Locked
  • Question
Replies
8
Views
340
babykitten
Replies
5
Views
1K
skippyenthalpy
Replies
6
Views
110
sydrc
  • Locked
Replies
4
Views
2K
jetajockey
Replies
4
Views
494
Rtessy
Top Bottom