Are Pothos Leaves Toxic?

Panda_Mo
So, I'm wanting to add Pothos to my aquarium but eailer, I was reading that Pothos are toxic to some household pets, such as cats or dogs. I know it's safe for fish to nibble on the roots but I couldn't find anything on if it was safe for fish to nibble on the leaves. Since, I have goldfish I fear that they could get sick if they ate some of the leaves. Help please. Also, I'm wanting to put the whole plant into the tank instead of the HOB.

CanadianFishFan
Yep I swear its toxic for dogs and cats. It will irritate their stomach and throat and mouth. It can also make them vomit. Since when did I become a vet?

Rtessy
So, I'm wanting to add Pothos to my aquarium but eailer, I was reading that Pothos are toxic to some household pets, such as cats or dogs. I know it's safe for fish to nibble on the roots but I couldn't find anything on if it was safe for fish to nibble on the leaves. Since, I have goldfish I fear that they could get sick if they ate some of the leaves. Help please. Also, I'm wanting to put the whole plant into the tank instead of the HOB.
Don't put the whole plant in the water, there's a reason only the roots go in. It's not a fully aquatic plant, so if it's placed entirely underwater, it will rot and produce ammonia and potentially release toxins from the leaves.
And no, I don't think the leaves are safe for goldfish to eat.

Panda_Mo
Thank you

Bryangar
I wouldn’t recommend that you have it full submerged. It’s more effective when it’s hanging out of the tank with the roots in the tank only.

Pothos is toxic to cats and dogs, but I read that if fish nibble at it, it has a sour taste and they’ll stop eating it after the first time. It’s not toxic, from what I read a member said.

edit: here is what aqua said.

Alex6455
Yup, I agree with the above posts. However, if you do chose to fully submerge it, it will stay alive. I had one fully submerged for about 2 months before it grew too big and I had to remove it. I was using it more as a decoration than nitrate remover, and also because I didn't have many plants. Now that I converted into a full blown planted tank, I don't need it anymore.

aussieJJDude
The only reason why it is toxic is due to it containing oxalates - pretty common compound in most plants in order to reduce the chance of it becoming a snack. Oxalates is a mild irritant, and does have a sour taste, but it certainly isn't life threatening... the only thing that it really does is that it can bind with calcium which can reduce calcium intake...

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
babykitten
Replies
Views
skippyenthalpy
Replies
Views
sydrc
Replies