Are plecostumos compatable with...

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Cookie Mobsta, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Cookie MobstaNew MemberMember

Are plecostumos compatible with guppies, ghost shrimp, african dwarf frogs, and otto cats? How big do they grow? If they grow very big then are there any smaller species of them?

2. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

There are many different sizes of plecos depending on what species you are talking about. Most of the plecos you see in fish stores are simply called common plecos. Go to planet catfish and check out all the different species. The smaller species are called ancistrus I believe. You will refer to many suggesting the bristlenose plecos.

3. OP
    OP
    C

Cookie MobstaNew MemberMember

I see plecos in fish stores that are around 2 inches. Im not sure what they are called but do you think they are a smaller speicies of it? How big do common plecos grow?

This is of topic but my friend is a bit over crowded in his tank. Does doing more water changes solve over crwodedness? (he has 2 to many guppies in his tank)

4. OP
    OP
    C

What is the smallest type of pleco? Are these compatable with the fish that I have?(I am just tired of my otto cats dieing and the survivor I have had this whole time having to be without a fellow algae eater).

5. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

The ten gallon is not big enough with what you have to add a plecostomous of any kind. Even a bristlenose which gets from 5-6 inches is too big.
    Carol

6. OP
    OP
    C

Then whats a good algae eater? (other then otto cats) that will make friends with otto cats?

7. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Your ottos should be able to keep all the algae cleared out of a ten gallon. If not then maybe you need to do bigger water change each week to remove the extra nutrients from your water.
    Carol

8. OP
    OP
    C

But the thing is that one of my two ottos is in a hospital tank and I think it will die soon :'(. It has been in there since the day after I got him. I don't wanna get another one because they just keep dieing on me. They ca get very lonely and I was wondering if there are any good algae eaters that can make friends with it.

9. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

You can do some research on different shrimp. I think amano shrimp are algae eaters, or maybe an apple or mystery snail.

10. OP
    OP
    C

Well I don't realy wanna add snails cus my tank is planted and I have three ghost shrimp. I guess i'll try with otto one more time and if it doesn't work then I'll try an algae eater I saw at petsmart (its pretty small and it looks friendly and is kept with guppies).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice